Confusion.....

-

inkjunkie

Reaction score
I have a Pain Stimulator and a Vertiflex in my back. Same doc did both. While I still hurt some it is nothing like what it was. Between the both of them I was able to end my 20+ year long dependency on Opioids. Doc advised me that I needed to modify a few things in my life, one of them being that I need to limit how much bending I do, squat to lift things below my waste was the big one. Fast forward a bit, left knee is swollen and tender. Bone doc gave me some injections that got me thru the summer. See him this week, pretty sure the replacement discussion is going to happen..again. Well...here is where the confusion comes in. Bone doc told me that I need to not squat or kneel on the replacement. I told him this was in direct conflict with what the pain doc has advised me to do in regards to lifting things/picking stuff up off the floor. His response...a somewhat puzzling silence...

No doubt there are quite a few FABO members that have had knees replaced. How long was your recovery? How much therapy? Reason I am asking is because both docs have told me that the replacement knee is going to alter how I walk...which is going to increase my back pain. Luckily (insert sarcasm) my right knee is trashed as well and needs to be replaced. Wondering if this will cut into my track time (photography) next season.

I have a Pain Stimulator and a Vertiflex in my back. Same doc did both. While I still hurt some it is nothing like what it was. Between the both of them I was able to end my 20+ year long dependency on Opioids. Doc advised me that I needed to modify a few things in my life, one of them being that I need to limit how much bending I do, squat to lift things below my waste was the big one. Fast forward a bit, left knee is swollen and tender. Bone doc gave me some injections that got me thru the summer. See him this week, pretty sure the replacement discussion is going to happen..again. Well...here is where the confusion comes in. Bone doc told me that I need to not squat or kneel on the replacement. I told him this was in direct conflict with what the pain doc has advised me to do in regards to lifting things/picking stuff up off the floor. His response...a somewhat puzzling silence...

No doubt there are quite a few FABO members that have had knees replaced. How long was your recovery? How much therapy? Reason I am asking is because both docs have told me that the replacement knee is going to alter how I walk...which is going to increase my back pain. Luckily (insert sarcasm) my right knee is trashed as well and needs to be replaced. Wondering if this will cut into my track time (photography) next season.

I had my right knee replaced about 10 years ago. Total recovery took about 3 months give or take a week or two. Therapy was around 6 weeks ( Pay particular attention to range of motion exercise ) I can't kneel on the replacement knee at all . I don't recall a difference in the way I walked but I don't have the Back problems you do.

I had my right knee replaced about 10 years ago. Total recovery took about 3 months give or take a week or two. Therapy was around 6 weeks ( Pay particular attention to range of motion exercise ) I can't kneel on the replacement knee at all . I don't recall a difference in the way I walked but I don't have the Back problems you do.
With my hobby being what it is not being able to kneel or squat is not really an option. Have spoken with several docs and my PT guy, all have said the same thing...no kneeling or squatting. Bone doc did say it is only a suggestion but...

With my hobby being what it is not being able to kneel or squat is not really an option. Have spoken with several docs and my PT guy, all have said the same thing...no kneeling or squatting. Bone doc did say it is only a suggestion but...

I wish you all the luck in the world which ever way you go.

I was told the same thing about artificial knees--no kneeling when I was looking around with this. I still have my painful, 74 year old knees, but at least I can "get on them" if I "must"

I’m looking at hip replacements. If the recovery is 3 months that ain’t happening.
I'm looking at that in my future, I was told.
Knees? They might be better off cutting off at the hip and replacing it all.
Somehow, I see limited use of a cane in my final years. 20?

I wonder if you could use a knee scooter?

I cant comment on personal experience but I read that a hip is a lot easier than a knee because there is more muscle to work with.

I've been told hips take very little time , unlike a knee.
If it needs to be done it, I say get it done as it's going to have to be done eventually and the longer you wait the longer the healing process as we take longer to heal the older we get. Besides it's better than hurting all the time and living on pain medication, I have the beginning stages of disc degeneration diesease for which nothing can be done with it so part of my daily routine is either the heating pad or ice pack and pain medication. If you can get it done.

Wife has had both knees done ( her best friend both at the same time.. DO NOT DO THAT!!!...) Anyways couldn't walk around the block and now 3-4 miles a day ..
When they say three to six months recovery that's "full" recovery... As I recall she could walk within a couple days and easley get around within a couple weeks....
She did them about a year apart... Also her thumbs a year apart... After snowmobile season healed in time for the next season...:thumbsup:...
20170219_150424.jpg

Friends wife had a hip replacement. Walker for a week, pt for a month recovered in 10 or so weeks.

If that’s it I’ll probably do it. I was supposed to see the surgeon on October 28th, but an issue came up and I put it off until next March. Unless it gets too much worse. Then I’ll go in earlier.

My wife had both hips done in 2019 (four months apart). With the exception of a tendon that got inflamed during the recovery it went well with just a few weeks to be able to "get around". The tendon is getting taken care of tomorrow. She can't go on long walks, but that has as much to do with the GI and other problems she has had since January 2020. Your physical therapist will probably know more about any limitations than your doctor...

My hip was pretty bad. Pain 24/7, and walking required a cane for a couple years. I had to retire (a little) early on disability. I was at most a year or two from a wheelchair. The replacement surgery changed my life. Even if recovery took a year, it would have been worth it. I'm looking at going back to work, if only part time.

My hip was pretty bad. Pain 24/7, and walking required a cane for a couple years. I had to retire (a little) early on disability. I was at most a year or two from a wheelchair. The replacement surgery changed my life. Even if recovery took a year, it would have been worth it. I'm looking at going back to work, if only part time.

Thats what I’m hoping. Both hips replaced and I can actually do work. And maybe a decent 28-30 hour week.

Just curious...why can't you kneel on the aftermarket knee? Pain?

I had a total replacement of my left knee almost 16 years ago. Best thing I ever did. Surgeon said my knee had been bone-on-bone for about 6 years when they replaced it.
The surgery was in very late January and I started bowling again in April. My left leg is my "slide leg" and was taking all my weight during follow-through.
Finding a good surgeon and following what your after-surgery therapist tells you is the key. Do what the therapist tells you to do but don't overdo it.
My surgeon used a replacement knee that he designed -- it acts like a natural knee and permits some 'rotation' of the knee joint rather than just acting as a hinge.
I was told no kneeling, running or jumping on the new knee. But I could walk and climb stairs again without constant pain.
Oh yeah, you won't get through the X-ray scan at the airport anymore.

Just plop my brain into a Terminator and get this **** over with.

I had a total replacement of my left knee almost 16 years ago. Best thing I ever did. Surgeon said my knee had been bone-on-bone for about 6 years when they replaced it.
The surgery was in very late January and I started bowling again in April. My left leg is my "slide leg" and was taking all my weight during follow-through.
Finding a good surgeon and following what your after-surgery therapist tells you is the key. Do what the therapist tells you to do but don't overdo it.
My surgeon used a replacement knee that he designed -- it acts like a natural knee and permits some 'rotation' of the knee joint rather than just acting as a hinge.
I was told no kneeling, running or jumping on the new knee. But I could walk and climb stairs again without constant pain.
Oh yeah, you won't get through the X-ray scan at the airport anymore.
Both the doc and therapist have told me no more squatting/kneeling. Funny you mention the x-ray scan...my stimulator and the loop of excess wires look pretty freaky in an x-ray. See the bone guy Friday, going to talk to him about the style of aftermarket knee they use. Thanks

-
Back