Consistent transmission fluid leaks in 904G

-

rms492

Reaction score
Hello, I have a '70 Dart, with 225-ci 6-cylinder, and TorqueFlite auto trans. (A904G). I consistently keep having trans. fluid leaks, I have changed gaskets numerous times, event the pan itself (bought new from YearOne). I have checked the torque on the nuts, all well.

I have tried both "cork" gaskets and the "black" gaskets, and it still leaks, not much, but just enough to be annoying. Any suggestions?

I am sure the trans. is not overfilled either way.

I am using Valvoline Dexron III/Mercon fluid.

Are you sure it is leaking from the pan? It could be coming from higher up like where the shafts for the shifter and kickdown pass thru the top. In my 727, I had a leak from the rear axial bolt.

the pan is the lowest part of trans, a leak from just about any where is going to end up in the pan area. the shifter seal, kickdown seal ,the filler O ring, the speedo seal. even a cooler line. there are many other places it can be coming from other than the pan gasket. if you overtighten the pans bolts or if they have pulled the metal in, will cause the pan not to seal. from my experience, overtightened pan bolts that squeeze the gasket out is usually why they leak.

-
Back