Console Carpet Questions???????

-

Oklacarcollecto

Life is an experiment
Reaction score
Is the skirt of carpet that goes around the base of the 66 to 76 a body consoles one piece?

I would assume that it has a sewn on border that covers the raw egdes on the bottom of the skirt?

The automatic console looks like it wouldn't be formed to fit, is that correct?

The 4 speed console has the hump next to the driver so would that area be formed to fit or is it a seperate piece that goes on a removable hump on the console?

Is there anything special that I should know if I was to start cutting and sewing one?

Equipment I don't need to know anout because I already have the binders and all the commerical sewing machines I would need.

Is the skirt of carpet that goes around the base of the 66 to 76 a body consoles one piece?

No, four strips of varying length and depth.

The automatic console looks like it wouldn't be formed to fit, is that correct?

Console rides above transmission hump on bracketery, one pair of brackets is located close to the front along the L & R side holding console with one screw each just behind the skirt. The rear attachment is by two screws on floor of console storage compartment, and the carpet strips act as a skirt to trim it out.

Is there anything special that I should know if I was to start cutting and sewing one?

Mount the console before making up the skirting, and make cardboard patterns for each of the four sides. There is binding on only three sides of the carpet strips, the top of the carpet is glued to the side of the console, and tucks up into a small recess along the side of the console.

Once you mount the console, the fitment of new carpet strips will become real easy to see.

Here is my console I repainted this winter; you can see the carpet skirting:
002-2.jpg

No, four strips of varying length and depth.

Console rides above transmission hump on bracketery, one pair of brackets is located close to the front along the L & R side holding console with one screw each just behind the skirt. The rear attachment is by two screws on floor of console storage compartment, and the carpet strips act as a skirt to trim it out.

Mount the console before making up the skirting, and make cardboard patterns for each of the four sides. There is binding on only three sides of the carpet strips, the top of the carpet is glued to the side of the console, and tucks up into a small recess along the side of the console.

Once you mount the console, the fitment of new carpet strips will become real easy to see.

Here is my console I repainted this winter; you can see the carpet skirting:
002-2.jpg

Thank You... That helps a lot. I can make those pretty easy with the machines I have.

Most aftermarket console skirts are one piece but cut on a bias so it turns the corners without puckering. The length and width of material needed for that bias cut somewhat justifies the price on them.

Most aftermarket console skirts are one piece but cut on a bias so it turns the corners without puckering. The length and width of material needed for that bias cut somewhat justifies the price on them.

If you buy a roll and cut it all on the bias then you wouldn't loose a big chunk execpt the start and the end of the roll. I need to look in to this deeper. Thanks for the information.

Im going to have to chk my 4 spd console....not sure if there is any carpet left on it, I could be wrong but I dont recall any console carpet looking like wjajr's??

I'll check in the box-o-trash from my upholstery job. Mine was complete and original. The upholsterer tucked new carpet and glued underneath. I know the old was barely hanging on but was not tucked, I don't remember seeing gaps at the corners though.

I'll shoot some pics of the new incorrect installation if anyone is interested.

I'll check in the box-o-trash from my upholstery job. Mine was complete and original. The upholsterer tucked new carpet and glued underneath. I know the old was barely hanging on but was not tucked, I don't remember seeing gaps at the corners though.

I'll shoot some pics of the new incorrect installation if anyone is interested.

Yes, please do.
Bill

-
Back