Console questions

-

fnabody

Reaction score
These questions are in regards to the consoles installed into 1968 Barracudas. Are the bodies of the automatic and 4 speed console specific to each application? Can the automatic console be cut and used to make a 4 speed console using the correct template? Are the console brackets different between the auto and manual console bodies? Do all 1968 and and newer a-body consoles have same dimensions? Thanks in advance.

Consoles are the same dimensions. Yes, the auto console can be cut, BUT they weren't cut in 1966. The auto console still has a smaller cutout that is covered by carpet that hangs over the opening. I haven't tried it on my son's Dart, but I suspect that the extra hump piece really isn't necessary. Console mount brackets are the same auto and four speed.

An automatic console can be cut to use as a 4-speed, the top plates are reproduced and VERY expensive! There is also a cardboard hump that screws to the side of the 4-speed console that the carpet goes over, but they are made of unobtainium unless you make one. The same brackets are used for mounting the front and rear of both consoles, there is no shifter bracket needed for a 4-speed. Picture is of the cutout for a 4-speed console.

69 blue 4 speed console 043.JPG

Thanks, a friend is 3d printing the cover for the side cutout. I realize the top plate isn't cheap. I may be able to source a donor console to convert. I was hoping to find a template so that I would know exactly where and how big to cut out the side of the console.

These questions are in regards to the consoles installed into 1968 Barracudas. Are the bodies of the automatic and 4 speed console specific to each application? Can the automatic console be cut and used to make a 4 speed console using the correct template? Are the console brackets different between the auto and manual console bodies? Do all 1968 and and newer a-body consoles have same dimensions? Thanks in advance.

Here's my 68 console converted to 4 speed. I am using a hurst competition plus shifter . I've heard that the removeable cardboard piece was only required for access to the inland shifter adjustment bolts. My console looks identical to a 4-speed and only requires changing the front plate to the 4-speed one plus the shifter boot. Prices for actual 4 speed consoles are nuts!! Thats why I converted mine.

1670948891499.png

1670948768801.png

1670948948847.png

Here's my 68 console converted to 4 speed. I am using a hurst competition plus shifter . I've heard that the removeable cardboard piece was only required for access to the inland shifter adjustment bolts. My console looks identical to a 4-speed and only requires changing the front plate to the 4-speed one plus the shifter boot. Prices for actual 4 speed consoles are nuts!! Thats why I converted mine.

View attachment 1716021710

View attachment 1716021709

View attachment 1716021712
Actually the cut-out for the console was not used in 1966 with the Inland, and happened because they were changing to Hurst mechanisms in 1968 that were MUCH larger than the Inland. They made the redesign in 1967 to accomodate the new shifter...

Actually the cut-out for the console was not used in 1966 with the Inland, and happened because they were changing to Hurst mechanisms in 1968 that were MUCH larger than the Inland. They made the redesign in 1967 to accomodate the new shifter...
Thanks for the info HemiSSDart! I guess I had it backwards LOL !!

If someone reproduces the "bulge" for the 4-sp console, let us know. Just for reference, here is photo of original "bulge" on 4-sp console that I am working on ('68 cuda). Bulge is actually two pieces, but could be made as one-piece.

100_3042.JPG

View attachment 1716021710

View attachment 1716021709

View attachment 1716021712
This is exactly what I want to do. I'm also using a Hurst competition plus box. Did you have to trim out the drivers side of your console?

This is exactly what I want to do. I'm also using a Hurst competition plus box. Did you have to trim out the drivers side of your console?

Hey fnabody,

No mods to the console whatsoever.

Heres a pic of it installed.

1670985811899.png

watching...has anyone ever used the A-Body console in a 68-70 B-Body ?

-
Back