Console wiring

-

n8ling

Reaction score
69 column shift cuda to console(auto). Is the wire harness just for lights? Switch on shifter show no continuity, what does the switch do? I have the harness but unsure where or what to plug into?
Any other threads of install??

I'm surprised you have a switch on the shifter, do you have the single or three terminal (later model) Torquflite neutral/ backup switch?

The cars with single terminal NSS have the backup switch on the transmission (stick) the column shifter or the console shifter. I don't know if I have correct diagrams for 69, but the harness should be a combo of white/ violet/ tracer, and lights. So two wires for the switch (backup if used) and orange for the shift indicator. More if you have a console tach.

This is '68, should be similar

Attachments

• Screenshot-6.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 145
If you have the original console hrness the plug on it is the same as the one on the column mounted reverse lamp switch. Simply unplug one and plug the other in.
In 1970 the reverse lamp switch moved to the trans. The 2 wires were routed thrugh unused ports in the bulkhead connector and on to the trans.
If you have a 70 up trans with 3 post neutral safety switch go ahead and route the 2 wires to there. The shifter mounted switches are often worn out or broken and difficult to find in good used condition.

I have two wire plug and single wire off trans. My column only has rectangle bulk plug .
Shifter has two wires at switch and two at light ( gear ind) other end three wire plug orange purple blk w/ white tracer and grnd ??
Trans plug is on wiper plug at bulkhead far right plug in eng bay!

So if I understand what you say, you dont need the reverse lamp switch on the shifter.
Your reverse lamps would work just as they did before.
I dont remember where they tapped into the orange wire for the indicater lamp.
I think it was just right of the ignition switch.

I found some stuff on 69

Go to the thread:

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=132309&highlight=manual,+download

Here's the link

[ame]http://www.abodyjoe.com/pictures/Misc.%20car%20info/69%20dodge%20service%20manual.pdf[/ame]

But that shows that a 69 (Dart) should have a transmission mounted backup (3 wire NSS) so if the closest thing I have is the 67 diagram. What you seem to be missing is a section of harness that plugs into the 3 wire connector, and goes up to the instrument panel from there.

As I remember, the inst. panel end of the harness is a sort of "1/4 round" connector, IE it is not square or rectangular, and since mine was an original console, I'm guessing that connector would hook to a column shift switch if so equipped.

-
Back