Conv Trunk Divider Panel

-

MODTOP-Billy

Reaction score
HEY, I need some help,

Anyone got a photo of the conv trunk divider panel?
Mine is a 68 Barracuda it has never had one since I have owned it.
Darts should be close if not the same.

I will have to fab me one up. A picture would help a lot.

I assume it hung over the 2 clips that the seat goes on and goes down to the floor.
It will be a little stubby guy 10-12" high 42-44" long. Hard board? black?

I am thinking there had to be something there between the trunk and back seat on the conv?
I have been looking at the back of the seat springs in the trunk for 30 years now.

I have seen other conv back seat pictures here on this site that also have exposed springs.

Should I cover the back of the seat with? Burlap? Leave it exposed springs?

I got all my interior tore out and dug me a big deep hole here.
But now it the time to fix it and make it as right as I can.

Thanks in advance for any help

BB

All of the 67 darts converts I have do not have any barrier between the trunk and the back of the rear seat.

PXL_20231024_151823404.jpg

I have the rear seat at work. I will take a look at it tomorrow but I do believe the springs are covered with a black pice of cardboard or something line that. As said there was also a well liner that snapped in place to keep you from seeing in the trunk if looking in the back window

I will take a look at it tomorrow but I do believe the springs are covered with a black pice of cardboard or something line that
Never say never but both 67s I have dont have anything and one of the cars was my dad's he bought new.

I got the well liner in I am talking about from the seat hooks down.
They may have came with nothing? I have never had anything and I have had this car since 1991
but it has seen several tear downs and re builds before me and after me.

I marked in red what I am looking for. you have to squat and look hard to see the seat springs
from the trunk. if they came with nothing that is what I will do leave it out.
but it came with something I will try to replicate that.

My coupe has a carboard panel here and I think I could cut a coupe down but I will make one if it came with one.
I was going to hang some black carpet? black plastic? attach something to the back of the seat.
Then thought NO I will do what MA Mopar did in 68 and live with it.
1698233412181.png

I'm not sure it would be needed, the board was probably more a cosmetic thing on coupes and the back of the seat cannot be seen on the convertibles.

Now that you brought this up got me thinking as well, time to start digging.

Alan

Best I can tell from the factory parts book is there is not. (section 23-96-3)

Alan

'66 model convertibles have them, but, it appears that they stopped using them in '67.

Well, this is part of the fun playing with Mopars.

My back seat looks the same covered half way down only in the top well area.

So still what to do? factory looks to be nothing.
I know I will try to make something, it's done gone and started bugging me.

Side note
I ordered a new carpet set with the console strip new floor mats, with the cuda on wheels logo just like my old 25 plus year old set all in red, Placed order Saturday and they just showed up WOW 3 days and in red! I used ACC and ordered direct from them.

So carpet is no longer my excuse, all this started because my rear speakers quit and I never listen to the radio or CD anyways TTI sings to me. LOL The carpet came out the wife said you not putting that back in are you, and it is wore and stained and faded not real bad but it will be all new now I hope the wife is happy....cause this makes me happy.

FYI, The ACC carpet box is just about right to cut up paint the back with black paint and hang over the seat hooks.
If anyone ever removes my back seat ACC will get some advertising. New carpet is in old Billy is sore. Car looks like it did 25 years ago only nicer. Console strip is a little pricey but installed well and looks nice worth the cost. I will take some pictures and post. and all this to fix my rear speakers that I never listen too ...I bought some old rear panels that were cut for speakers and saved my old uncut originals 25 years ago before anyone says rear speakers in a conv.

Thank you for the help and advice. I think the factory correct way here is exposed springs for 67-69 anyways.

Here is a picture from the truck of some blacked out springs, I cut up and painted the box my carpet came in.

I was going to use the cardboard as a template. but there is no good way to seal up against the floor probably
why the factory did nothing. This was cheap and easy, I went with it. Here is a pic of the console strip and the old carpet.

nosprings1.jpg

newcarpet1.jpg

oldcarpet.jpg

No trunk divider remnants found in my 1964 Valiant conv. My 1965 Dart 2 dr hdtp (not conv) had one, but degraded cardboard. I installed a more robust fabric-poly one from a 1983 M-B 300D I parted out. Simply cut slots for the seatback hooks and trimmed. It flows on the floor under the seat for better sound damping. Only purpose in a conv would be to decrease low-freq thumpy sounds from the trunk. It wouldn't hide the view of the motor-pump.

-
Back