Converter- 67 273/904

-

BPTracing

Reaction score
Just wondering if I need to order anything "special" to replace the converter in my 67 Dart? I seem to recall something about input shaft differences in early transmissions.

I am getting ready to rebuild the 904, and figured I would switch to a slightly higher stall to help the little motor out.

I have a 4bbl to install on the motor, and have installed a 3.55 gear. So I figured a 2000ish converter would help wake up the motor a little more.

In my wife’s ‘67 Cúda, the 904 has the earlier lower count spline. I can’t remember right now what it was. A new converter with the earlier lower spline count isn’t possible. I looked around a lot.

What I did do was go to my local race converter builder
( ProTorque | High Performance Drag Racing Torque Converters )
They custom rebuilt the converter to my cars weight, drivetrain set up & engine power. It’s now rated to 750hp.

Personally and without knowing a darn thing about your engine, 2000 can easily be lower than the stock stall rating. 2500 min.!

But don’t listen to me on that. Find a guy near you or visit my guys above and give them every detail about your engine build, cars weight, gear ratio and tire size and tell them what kind of driving it’s for and how it’ll be used. They will set you right up.

Your location says “La” which is Alabama IIRC for abbreviations?
Isn’t PTC near you? The PTC owner is a MoPar guy to boot.

Get your OEM converter custom rebuilt and re stalled. FWIW, the one in my wife’s car runs and operates great! Drives normal, hammer the throttle it stalls to where they said it would, zero issues. This is a move I’d do again in a heart beat flat.

When I comes to the drivetrain, this was the best move I made having it redone custom for the car and I s drivetrain and usage.

the early 904's had a smaller input with 18 splines and the hub for the torque converter was smaller as well. so the converter is specific to 67 and down units. fwiw the 68 and later have 27 splines, so at least you'll know what not to look for.

the market for high performance/high stall early converters is quite small, so it's highly unlikely to find anything off the shelf that'll be a correct match for your particular set up-- although you *might* find something close.

most have theirs rebuilt to spec locally or have a company build one out for them. PTC and pro torque are highly regarded as is PACT Performance Automotive Transmission Center

at any rate, i'd 100% grab the numbers off the pan rail and verify what you have before ordering up parts.

In my wife’s ‘67 Cúda, the 904 has the earlier lower count spline. I can’t remember right now what it was. A new converter with the earlier lower spline count isn’t possible. I looked around a lot.

What I did do was go to my local race converter builder
( ProTorque | High Performance Drag Racing Torque Converter

Your location says “La” which is Alabama IIRC for abbreviations?
Isn’t PTC near you? The PTC owner is a MoPar guy to boot.

LA. - Louisiana. But yes I am about 2 hours from PTC, and Kenny Ford of PTC has been to our shop before to help with our race transmissions.

I did a "stall" check the stock converter with the new power disk brakes, and it seemed to be quite low to me, like 1600-1800.

But before I called anyone, I was checking to see if I needed to remove the trans first to see.what I have, which seems to be the case.

Thank you
the early 904's had a smaller input with 18 splines and the hub for the torque converter was smaller as well. so the converter is specific to 67 and down units. fwiw the 68 and later have 27 splines, so at least you'll know what not to look for.

the market for high performance/high stall early converters is quite small, so it's highly unlikely to find anything off the shelf that'll be a correct match for your particular set up-- although you *might* find something close.

most have theirs rebuilt to spec locally or have a company build one out for them. PTC and pro torque are highly regarded as is PACT Performance Automotive Transmission Center

at any rate, i'd 100% grab the numbers off the pan rail and verify what you have before ordering up parts.
Thanks! I recalled hearing the was a difference in the early models. I appreciate your information as far as the years/size! I was mentally hoping I could just order parts, but didn't figure it would be that easy! Lol

Thanks! I recalled hearing the was a difference in the early models. I appreciate your information as far as the years/size! I was mentally hoping I could just order parts, but didn't figure it would be that easy! Lol
ostensibly, you could just order. the problem is that virtually nobody makes a performance converter for the early type, and there isn't exactly a grip of cores floating around... so anybody that is gonna make one, needs to have one and if they do they're gonna wanna charge you thru the teeth for it.

the last time i went thru this (pre pandemic) the core charge was something like $350 or i had to send mine in first to be checked out before they'd even talk to me about the work which was already going to be like one half of a bank robber satchel with the little $ sign on it.

so, i wound up talking with my client and pivoting to a 727 instead and solving a whole mess of problems at the same time: crank to converter hub compatibility, passing gear, shift kit availability, cheaper torque converter.

anyway, if you don't mind the core, you could just order one up from a company-- but i would 100% make sure that they're mopar savvy or you will almost likely get the wrong (later) converter because you know, whatever, 904 is 904 and all that dodge crap is the same.

pull the #'s off the pan rail and post 'em up. we'll tell you what you have and then you can make a move from there.

Remember, the stall test for converters must be done in high gear (which requires a manual valve body) for an accurate stall estimate. The converter has the most leverage against the engine then and it will stall to its maximum. It's all explained in the MP books. So your 1600-1800 could be close, or not at all.

-
Back