Converter advice?

-

Thanatos340

Reaction score
I am looking for recommendations or suggestions a converter. I just bought a fresh street/strip 904 that I am anxious to put in but not sure which converter to go with (Manufacturer or Stall). Currently I have an old GER converter in it that is junk and has way too much stall (3800 to 4000). I don't want to make a similar mistake this time around around when I buy a converter.

1976 Duster - Street/Strip
Motor - 1969 340, .30 over, Stock crank and rods.
Pistons - KB performance - 10.5:1 Compression
Heads - J heads with 2.02/1.88 Valves.
Cam - MP Purple Shaft Cam 0.484"/0.484" Lift, 284/284 Adv. Duration
Exhaust - 1 5/8 Headers, 2.5" Exhaust and Flowmasters
Intake - Mopar Performance M1
Carb - Proform 750
Ignition - MSD 6AL
Rear End - 8 3/4 Suregrip, 4:10 Richmond gears
Tire - Mickey Thompson ET Streets 28x11.5

Trans going in - Fresh 904 with Reverse Manual Valve Body, 5.0 Lever, Lower gear set.

Wanna keep it streetable but willing to give up street manners for better strip performance. I was thinking 2800 to 3200 stall and have no idea on the manufacturer.

I know GER is junk (And no longer around), I have heard many horror stories about TCI. Any others I should avoid? Suggestions or advise would be greatly appreciated.

I would say your going to want to be around 2800 to 3000 stall for that combo, ( as its very simular to mine which is also a street strip car with 4:30 gears), and still have it liveable on the street. The best thing to do though is contact a good converter builder such as turbo action, or ATI and tell them your cars spec.s and have one custom built for your car. You will be glad you did !

Wanna keep it streetable but willing to give up street manners for better strip performance. I was thinking 2800 to 3200 stall and have no idea on the manufacturer.

I think you can get the best of both worlds with a new converter - I';ve been running a dynamic 9.5" for about 7 years now - It's a 3800 stall that works great with my 3.23 gears - my setup is similar to yours - and I run 12.50's in the quarter with the 3.23's and a short tire.

I drive the hell out of it on the street - a modern converter will not slip under part load but will flash when you stomp it.

I actually gained MPG, lowered crusing RPM and enjoyed the car much more with a 3800 stall compared to a mopar 175k ( 2500 stall ) junker.

Ultimate, dynamic or a good name like that will set you up right - they did it for me and a bunch of people I;ve known over the years.

-
Back