Converter Time!!

-

MOPARJ

What can I upgrade now?
Reaction score
Ok, it is time (money wise) to throw a new converter into my 904 in my Duster. I am running a bone stock unit behind a stock compressioned piston 318 with COmp XE268 cam and headers, 3.21 gearing in rear. It pulls hard in the upper rpms, but it a bit doggish on the low end up to 3K or so, then it takes off. Kind of what I expected with this cam using a stock TC. I am thinking that a TC in the area of 2000-2200 should give me better low end acceleration, along with better aceleration at speed, such as on the highway. Does this sound like a good stall speed range, or should I go higher to accomplish the goal? It has 26.5 inch tall tires on the back and cruises 2750 at 65 on the hwy. Thanks.

I'd run at least a 2500 in it.

TA or Dynamic or any decent vertor company can build them to flash pretty hard but be efficient at cruise.

I acquired a Hughes 2400-2500 converter and am installing it. Since the 318 is internal balance, no additional weights on the TC are needed, correct?

Awesome. Hopefully a jump from 1400 to 2400 will wake this SOB up even more and get her deeper into the 14s.

if you would like to go low end on your converter you can go with a /6 . ive been using them for a 35 yrs no problem . the reason being back in the day no body ever used the 904 for hp cars . i started using them an playing around with them in the 70's small cam i always used /6 converters around 50$at the rebuild warehouse. if you can fine one the 170 6 give you the best stall but if not get one for a /6 truck it well be about 2200 in a 318 . now an all out drag car buy a good converter . street driver these work good for me plus the price is right

-
Back