Converter W/ 3.21 Gears

-

MOPARJ

What can I upgrade now?
Reaction score
Now that I have 3.21 gearing in my new 8 1/4, would I feel a difference in performance with a slightly looser converter? It is a stock verter' right now with a 318, near stock compression, Comp XE268 cam, headers, 4 bbl. Would a stall in the range of 2200 or 2400 help performance out some more, or am I already going to see a decent enough gain in peppiness and performance with just the switch from 2.76 to 3.21 gears?

Hello,
I'm running virtually the exact same setup as you. I have an 8.25" rear with 3.21 gears but used to have a 7.25" with 2.76s for a long time. There is definitely a very noticeable change with the gear swap. 3.21s are much more fun that 2.76, yet still allow highway driving. I'm running a Hughes 2500 stall that I got back when I had the 2.76 gears. I remember before, the car would kinda shimmy when I stabbed it from a stop because of my cam and the 4 bbls of carburetion wanting in to the motor. I think the stock stall speed was 1500 rpm so I made a big change for a street car. The converter helped alot. Now if I punch it from a stop it'll stand up, spin both tires for a sec (traction bars) and GO, whereas before it might squeek the tire a little bit and get going ok. Plus, when I punch the gas, obviously my motor instantly jumps to about 2500 rpm (hence 2500 stall), which means my ignition advance will be 100% fully in the second I punch it from a stop which helps even more. Also, with any cam more than .420" lift and .204 duration @ .050" or around 270 adv duration, more converter will help. My transmission class teacher thinks 2500 is a bit much for my motor but it works great. The big drawback is it knocked my gas mileage down about 3 mpg. so the answer to your question is yes, the converter will help get you off the line much quicker, and the 3.21 gears will also be much more fun than the 2.76s. However, If I had to do it all over again, I would go with a 2200 stall instead of a 2500 so that's what I reccommend to you.
Good Luck!

I am thinking 2000-2200 should be good enough, if the stock converter is around 1700 or 1800 rpm. Do the balance weights need to be installed, or do the proper ones already come attached to the new converter?

What is a good brand and type for my requests?

-
Back