Convertible top tack strips

-

George R

Mopar Nutcase
Reaction score
Anyone know where a guy could buy tack strip material (or something that can be used as a tack strip material) from a local source?

Reason I asked is because I removed the original soft top/rear window from my 69 Dart yesterday, and the tack strip on the rear bow is dried and coming apart and can't be reused. The top kit I bought came with 2 sizes of tack strip for 2 locations, and neither one is fat enough or deep enough to fill the channel in the bow. I hate to order some from online and have to wait a week for it to get here if there is something at a local chain store I could use as a substitute. Any ideas short of cutting wood strips to fit in there? It would have to be dense enough to retain staples.

As a side note, I have been asking anyone who'll listen if they could give me any tips or tricks to installing a 2 piece convertible top and nobody has any experience with this job. I guess most people just farm out this kind of work. Well, from what I've seen, it is easier than installing a headliner in a hardtop car, which I did on my old 69 Swinger 340. If you're thinking of doing this job on your own car but are afraid of it, don't be. Once you get it apart and can see HOW it works, and HOW it was originally assembled, you'll see how easy it is to remove and replace the material. All it takes is extra measuring, and a second set of hands to help align it. My 12 year old son is perfect for that job! LOL

Anyway, if anyone has any ideas for tack strip material, I'm all ears! Home Depot is 1 mile away.

George :glasses7:

Years ago, I was chasing old Lincoln convertibles (61-64). There was an "all" Lincoln guy in CT called Bakers Auto in Putnam.

http://www.bakersauto.com/

Call him and ask who does his convertible top work. I'm sure it's a local guy down your way somewhere...

Hope this helps.

Mine was dry rotted and the guy that installed my top used bondo to fill the tack bow

he has been installing tops for many years and was taught by his dad who started when he was 17 and he retired 5 years ago and left his son to continue the business

Check with some local top installers and see what they use

Fan belts. go to local auto parts store and see what fits. Heard that from a local installer.

-
Back