Converting 440 duster back to 318

-

Gwywnc

Reaction score
so I'm wondering if I will need to buy a different k frame for the 318? I have a like new 318 with auto trans in rv and I was wondering what all I would need to put it into my duster. Thanks

It depends on what K-Frame is in it now and how you want to do it. You can always use motor plates or there are companies out there making conversion mounts to adapt about any Mopar engine into any other Mopar K-Frame.

my-brain-is-full-of-****.jpg

Hard to say without seeing the K frame. The 440 swap could have been done a couple of different ways. They could have used conversion engine mounts like the Schumacher mounts, but even in that case you could have either a /6 or a small block V8 K frame. Or they could have modified the K frame to replicate a BB K or bought a Mopar performance K frame.

If it's a /6 K with conversion mounts, you'd still need conversion mounts. If it's a small block K with conversion mounts, you just need stock engine mounts. And if it's any version of a BB K-frame, I think you'll need to replace the K frame because I don't think there are conversion mounts to go from BB K-frame to a small block. Fortunately selling the BB K frame would bring more than enough to buy a small block K frame.

You may also need to address the drive shaft length depending on the transmissions involved.

Thanks for the replay. I was kinda hoping to get all the parts together before I pull the engine. Is there any think I can look for that would tell me for sure what it is. I know it was a v6 before the swap to 440

Thanks for the replay. I was kinda hoping to get all the parts together before I pull the engine. Is there any think I can look for that would tell me for sure what it is. I know it was a v6 before the swap to 440
Primarily, if the mounting pads on the frame aren't close to inline w/the ears on the block, esp. the dr. side, it probably has conversion mounts. It may be closer to right on a slant6
frame than a SB one, but go to shumacher's site and familiarize yourself w/the mounts enuff to check whats there. No shortage of images on this site of K-frames...............

-
Back