coolant leak

-

diymirage

HP@idle > hondaHP@redline
Reaction score
hey fellows

i got an issue with the duster today

i got her out of storage and fired her up for the first time in a few months

after idling for a while i found a puddle underneath it, which turned out to be coolant

best i can tell, its coming from the top of the timing cover

20210310_123503-jpg.jpg

(you can see it running down towards the freeze plug)

best i can tell it is leaking out of the red circle, the green circle is dry
i figured if it was the crossover hose, or the thermostat housing, it would be wet up there

so, any reason to believe it is not the timing cover?
id really hate to dig that deep into it but it doesnt look like im overlooking anything simple

The timing covers have been known to corrode and leak similarly- not saying that's what it is and not just a gasket, but be prepared... :(

If you need a different timing cover, let me know. I have 2 or 3 extra ones in my garage.

IIRC that red bolt penitrates the water jacket, maybe just pull it and add proper sealer to the bolt?

IIRC that red bolt penitrates the water jacket, maybe just pull it and add proper sealer to the bolt?

i would imagine that Mike (MRL) put some decent stuff on there when he build the engine 4, 5 years ago
i sure do hope that will solve it
ill look into it tomorrow, wouldnt hurt to pull that bolt off and put some aviation permatax on it

bite the bullet now/cover/chain/pump/thermo clutch and use a anode in radiator drain plug and enjoy the summer and save your core plugs !!!
ask me how I know

https://www.bing.com/aclk?ld=e8AKq2...z&rlid=bab11df9f5c71a8a00d57db0cddcca41&ntb=1

View attachment 1715705395

shoot, that looks rough
lets hope it doesnt come to that, but ill do what i have to

man, i am not looking forward to trying to get that pan properly sealed again

View attachment 1715705396

View attachment 1715705400

And when you're all done and the leaks are fixed, don't use tap water in your cooling system. Use distilled water along with a good quality antifreeze in a 50/50 mix.

so, any reason to believe it is not the timing cover?
id really hate to dig that deep into it but it doesnt look like im overlooking anything simple
What is "digging that deep" mean that's a 20 minute job to get that timing cover off

i pulled that one bolt out, and when it came out, i could hear it gurgling
that tells me it was sealed (at least with zero pressure in it)

i slapped some sealant on and put it back in
all other bolts seemed pretty tight

What is "digging that deep" mean that's a 20 minute job to get that timing cover off

even when i have to drain and remove the radiator
pull the water pump
pull the balancer
and drop half the oil pan

shoot, if you put it like that, it doesnt sound like a lot of work
but, like you said, im not much of a mechanic, and im honestly more worried about getting it back together and sealed up, then i am about getting it tore apart

shoot, if you put it like that, it doesnt sound like a lot of work
but, like you said, im not much of a mechanic, and im honestly more worried about getting it back together and sealed up, then i am about getting it tore apart

To defeat the engine, you must become an engine and get in there.

And yes, even with needing to drain and remove the radiator, it's a very small job. How long does it take for a radiator to piss it all out.

To defeat the engine, you must become an engine and get in there.

And yes, even with needing to drain and remove the radiator, it's a very small job. How long does it take for a radiator to piss it all out.

Fair nuff
Any advice on how to make sure the oil pan seals again?

Fair nuff
Any advice on how to make sure the oil pan seals again?
Usually when guys ask me for mechanical advice:

But in your case, I don't think you need to drop half the pan, you only need to reseal under the new timing cover and a daub on each side will do it justice. Just a cute little dot of sealer and all the gremlins will run away.

Got it

I guess if things don't magically improve overnite, I'll dig into it over the weekend

Did you use coolant that had corrosion inhibitor in it?

If not, this could be a great example of why it is a good idea....

Did you use coolant that had corrosion inhibitor in it?

If not, this could be a great example of why it is a good idea....

im honestly not sure
i can almost guarantee you it was basic off the shelf prestone
and knowing me, i probably added tap water when needed

I'd pop the timing cover off. It's probably corroded, which is causing the leak. Use DI or distilled water from now on.

-
Back