Coolant temp probe in radiator?

-

evans68cuda

Reaction score
Just picked up an aluminum 26" radiator yesterday and it came with a fitting for a temp probe near the top Hose. I have a LD340 right now so currently the temp gauge is in that port, so I had to take my heater hose off that for the temp gauge. Now that I have this radiator I was hoping I could put my temp probe in there and then out my heater hose back into the intake. My only concern is, will I get an acurrate temp reading at the radiator?

IMG_9198.JPG

No, you won't.
In my experience your gauge will read 10-15 cooler than the motor is.
If you don't have any other way of doing it consider a thermostat housing with the threaded port/s for that.
That way the sensor will see the temp right as it comes out of the block.

Advance auto parts carries these, so I suspect other common stores do as well.

22905409_sct_4730_pri_larg.jpg

Here's the other thing about temp probes, and I've been "caught" myself.

Driving along, nice spring day, in the (then) Dodge 600. It had been raining, but the sun had warmed the car and I had the heater OFF. On the freeway, it got cool enough I turned on the heat. Probably in the last mile or two........a heater hose had ruptured WITH NO APPARRENT SIGNS.......I had not noticed the temp gauge went "colder" but when I turned on the heater it was COLD. Yup.......warped the head

The HIGHER in an engine you put a probe, the MORE chance you have in the case of some leak /low coolant problem.........that the sensor WILL NOT show a hot condition.

I've even thought of "rigging" a sensor into a core plug or block drain. Chev (gag) had the right idea when they moved the temp sensor down to the heads

-
Back