Cooler and lines for Torqueflite upgrade to overdrive

-

Headintheclouds

Reaction score
I'm replacing a Torqueflite 727 behind a 318 Poly with a 42RH. As far as I can see the earlier transmission uses 5/16" lines and the later 3/8". I'm not sure about transmission cooler capacity to dissipate heat but would be grateful if anyone has any info.

I'm a bit puzzled by the seeming need to shift more heat. The overdrive unit with lockup should improve miles to the gallon by about 25% and this suggests my 42RH shouldn't need as big a cooler as the 727. Should I stick with the lines and cooler I already have or do I need to go large?

They switched for a reason, go large.
Also be aware that you may have issues with the torque convertor- early motors (pre-'68) had a smaller recess in the crank flange, this was enlarged in later years when they increased the diameter of the nose of the torque convertor in '68.

If anyone knows the reason I would like to know!

Fortunately the crank recess on my '66 Canadian Poly is the right size for the 42RH converter, but thank you for the heads up.

They switched for a reason, go large.

Agreed! I will be using the 42RH behind a stock 66 273/235 Charger 273 in my 65Dart. I had the folks at Dynamic Converters rebuild my 42 and asked that very question. Their reply was to use the 3/8th’s lines with the larger cooler in the radiator or if you must use the 5/16th lines, they recommended an external transmission cooler as well

So i will be used a Be Cool cooler with the 3/8th fittings and 3/8th lines throughout with 3/8 adapter fittings at the OEM radiator cooler

Last edited:
A bit more reading suggests that the non lockup 727 has cooler pressure of about 10psi but the 42RH is likely to be over 80psi. I currently have a single unit water radiator and transmission cooler. I guess I need to either disconnect the transmission cooler part and add a separate modern cooler or get a new combined unit made.

-
Back