Hi all

Here's my question
We have a 68 cuda that was a race car
440 about 500hp 727 Automatic
whats the best rad fan shroud combo for light street driving
should we use a clutch fan and a 7 blade fan or go electric fans
should we add a separate trans cooler

Thanks for help

Get a stock rad/ fan /shroud / water pump / pulleys for the setup.

Look in the 68 parts catalogue for all the correct part numbers then Google them.

68 69 fan shroud is reproduced

I tend to agree w/ Dana67D, I've never had issues with the stock parts... Always run a shroud. And a transmission cooler wont hurt, especially if you have a stall

Just copy what the factory did in 69.

I agree with the above as well. I run all factory cooling stuff and it keeps my 440 Duster at 180 all day long.

I will amend all of the great absolutely awesome suggestions above ^^^^^^^^ with a couple caveats. Use a Milodon / MR Gasket type high flow t-stat only and Use the Flow Cooler Pump.

Otherwise all the "exact" factory components are the ticket JMO!

I failed miserably in the late 80's thinking my ASE Master Tech brain was smarter, It was not!

I have been a very happy camper for nearly 8 years with this factory subscription!!!

Last edited:
My 68 with a 451 big block uses the factory rad with a shroud , factory 7 blade fan without a clutch , 16 lb cap and a 195 thermostat. Runs cool and doesn't boil over.

Hi all

Here's my question
We have a 68 cuda that was a race car
440 about 500hp 727 Automatic
whats the best rad fan shroud combo for light street driving
should we use a clutch fan and a 7 blade fan or go electric fans
should we add a separate trans cooler

Thanks for help

hi cuda guy,
all mopar V/8's came with either a 22" or a 26" radiator and corresponding shroud. all the air conditioner equipped cars had the 26" radiator. when it comes to keeping a mopar "cool" "bigger is always better" so your really need a 26" radiator for your 440. if you use an original 26" mopar radiator, you really need the factory fan (clutch fan if you can find one) AND the shroud. mopars actually will run cooler if you have the shroud in place. now, if you aren't a strict "OEM" guy, a new after-market aluminum radiator with twin electric fans will keep your engine cool even in very hot temps or waiting in traffic. if you use a new, larger aluminum radiator and electric fans, you don't need a shroud except for looks. don't forget to run a thermostat at the intake manifold radiator hose - 180 degree is the recommended thermostat for a 440. as to the trans cooler - if you use an aftermarket new aluminum radiator with the trans-lines hook-ups, that should be sufficient for cooling your Torqueflite. if you use an older OEM mopar 26" trans, i would add the separate trans-cooler just to be safe. one thing to look for: if your car was a former "race car", the heads may have been milled to increase cylinder compression. this will often cause overheating if such an engine is used on the street. if you have aluminum heads and you experience overheating, that may be a sign that one of the heads has suffered "heat warping" which is not uncommon with aluminum heads. finally, make sure your timing is right on as "retarded" timing can also cause overheating. as a last thought, i would use one of the new "heat absorbing" anti-freeze products.

i hope this helps...

hi cuda guy,
all mopar V/8's came with either a 22" or a 26" radiator and corresponding shroud. all the air conditioner equipped cars had the 26" radiator. when it comes to keeping a mopar "cool" "bigger is always better" so your really need a 26" radiator for your 440. if you use an original 26" mopar radiator, you really need the factory fan (clutch fan if you can find one) AND the shroud. mopars actually will run cooler if you have the shroud in place. now, if you aren't a strict "OEM" guy, a new after-market aluminum radiator with twin electric fans will keep your engine cool even in very hot temps or waiting in traffic. if you use a new, larger aluminum radiator and electric fans, you don't need a shroud except for looks. don't forget to run a thermostat at the intake manifold radiator hose - 180 degree is the recommended thermostat for a 440. as to the trans cooler - if you use an aftermarket new aluminum radiator with the trans-lines hook-ups, that should be sufficient for cooling your Torqueflite. if you use an older OEM mopar 26" trans, i would add the separate trans-cooler just to be safe. one thing to look for: if your car was a former "race car", the heads may have been milled to increase cylinder compression. this will often cause overheating if such an engine is used on the street. if you have aluminum heads and you experience overheating, that may be a sign that one of the heads has suffered "heat warping" which is not uncommon with aluminum heads. finally, make sure your timing is right on as "retarded" timing can also cause overheating. as a last thought, i would use one of the new "heat absorbing" anti-freeze products.

i hope this helps...
Thanks
Thi car has been a pain in the ***
The guy who built this car was either an idoit or a lazy master craftsman
everything was wrong it was well
now its almost fixed to be safe for my grand kids

-
Back