Cooling with A/C on

-

carfreak6970

Reaction score
Hello Folks,

Not an A body, but Im hoping someone with a similar set up would be able to help. So I have this 90 Dodge W150. I recently got the A/C charged and everything is working great. The only issue I have is that the engine heats up to the top of the safe zone with the A/C on sitting in traffic. Now going at high way speeds its fine, but with living in Pittsburgh PA there will be times you will get stuck in bumper to bumper traffic. So I would like some opinions on how to keep this thing cool in the humid summers with the A/C on.

Currently it is just the stock radiator with what I believe is a flex fan (father is in love with those things...). It originally had a clutch fan on it but according to him every summer he would cook the silicone fluid out of it. Back home on the country roads and highways this set up may have been fine, but here in Pittsburgh it is not cutting it.

I had a 2001 Durango that had a clutch fan but also two auxiliary fans in front of it that would come on when the A/C was on and would come on pretty much everytime you would hit traffic. Does anyone have any experience with installing a set up like this? Id like to see if I could keep that arrangement. If not, I would at least like auxiliary fans that would come on when the temp starts to climb and that I can turn on when ever I see the temp going up.

Suggestions?

You can run a pusher that is tied to the temp and/or comes on with a relay that is triggered by the a/c clutch. On mine, just went with the dual spal fan puller set up, but a lot of people are also using the dual fan found stock on I think it is a Ford Touras.

-
Back