Cooper or Firestone

-

7duster4

Reaction score
Any opinions on these white letter tires?

cooper cobra gt and firestone indy 500 firehawk. These are going on my 14-inch rallye wheels. 205's up front and 215's in the back. I am currently running the coopers and am in need of new tires. I have read many positive things about the firestones. Anyone here have expeirence? Which ride better, hook better, etc?

Thank you

the coopers are outline white letters and the firestones are solid white letters both are good tires

I've heard that the Firestone's get better traction, and they also appear to have a flatter tread surface, which should help...they are a more modern design. You can read reviews of both on www.tirerack.com

I've worked for a Firestone dealer (GCR) and personally I like the Fuzion better than Firehawk, too bad they don't make them in WL or WWL.

One other thing to consider (please don't throw things at me guys) but Firestones are Japanese and Coopers are one of the few remaining US tire companies (my oldest bro-in-law's family works for 'em in Mississippi). If that matters to you.

I used to run the Cobra GT's on my Barracuda, then I switched to the Firehawk Indy 500's.

The Cobra GT's where a lot loader then the 500's, and I am glad I made the switch.

I really wanted the GT's because they are based out of Ohio, but I could only find one supplier locally. I live near Columbus Ohio, and it suprised me how few places sold them.

Anyway, it was like night and day as far as the road noise was concerned between the two.

Cooper tire is a decent company and made in the USA. I would go with them just based on that.

Have coopers on my Bee......they look and ride pretty good. I get some vibration at 70 but I blame that on the road and wheel balance as it only does it on certain roads. Traction is pretty good if you don't dump the clutch at 5K.

Cooper have a nice 60's look to them as well. My letters are solid by the way.

70b cooperw.jpg

Can't speak for the Firestones, but I have had good wear with the Cobras on my Warlock and on my Dart.

The firestones sure sound like a good tire. However the smallest size they make for 14inch rims are 215/70. I was going to use that size for the rear but I wanted 205/70 for the front two.

Would 215's fit in the front without any problems? Is there an advantage in running equal size tires all around? Such as handling?

The car is a '74 Duster.

Thanks

I think the widest Cooper Cobra in a 14 is 235/60/14. This is slighly smaller in diameter than a 205/70/14. The largest tire you can get in a 14 is a BFG 245/60/40 which is slightly larger in diameter than a 205/70/14. I don't know how the BFGs compare to the Cobras or Firehawks traction.

-
Back