cordless drill chuck center screw 4-17-20

-

diymirage

HP@idle > hondaHP@redline
Reaction score
i got this black and decker cordless drill, and the little screw that sits in the bottom of the chuck is missing

Cordless_Drill_Parts_Screw.jpg

now, the drill wont turn, its just slipping and grinding

of course i cant find a part number for the screw, and black and decker has zero customer service

my question is, is the slipping caused by the lack of this screw, or should i just move on?

(dont want to spend 80 bucks on a new one, if i can fix this one for $7.00)

disregard
i opened it up some more and the gears are shot

Yeh. The only thing that LEFT handed thread screw does is to keep the chuck on the spindle when running the drill in reverse.

And now a story from the old days. Guy comes into the store, tosses a 3/8 drill motor on the bench and says, "I need a new chuck."

"I'll likely have to remove it to figure out what thread that is."

"OK"

I took the drill motor back to the bench and removed the chuck. We used to chuck up the largest allen key we could get into the chuck, and strike it with a hammer, most of the time knocked it right loose

Went back got a chuck and up front

"I didn't need the whole thing, I just want the CHUCK." (Points at the key.)

"That's a key not a chuck. The chuck is the part that mounts on the drill"

"Well I call it a chuck."

"Well, as long as you keep calling the key, the "chuck", then this is what someone will get for you!!!!"

Yeh. The only thing that LEFT handed thread screw does is to keep the chuck on the spindle when running the drill in reverse.

And now a story from the old days. Guy comes into the store, tosses a 3/8 drill motor on the bench and says, "I need a new chuck."

"OK"

I took the drill motor back to the bench and removed the chuck. We used to chuck up the largest allen key we could get into the chuck, and strike it with a hammer, most of the time knocked it right loose

"Well, as long as you keep calling the key, the "chuck", then this is what someone will get for you!!!!"
Sometimes you just can't keep them from eating the books. ;)

"OK"

cool
that little screw has been loose for ages
who knows when it took off
i just noticed it when it started grinding, but i guess it wasnt the real issue

thanks for the story :)

crisis averted

i picked up a new one from the same series, so all my old batteries work with it as well

crazy thing is, my local grocer had it cheaper then lowes, menards or wallyworld

-
Back