Correct Length Pinion Snubber Bracket

-

68 CUDA FORMULA S

Reaction score
I am just about ready to install my A body 8 3/4 rear end in my 1966 Barracuda. The center section does not have a pinion snubber on it so I have been looking at some that are available. There appears to be three different lengths for the bracket an 8" large, a 6" medium, and I believe the last one was a 4" small or something like that. My question is what length do I need for my Barracuda and why the different lengths? Any help and info will be appreciated.
Thanks
Bob

I am just about ready to install my A body 8 3/4 rear end in my 1966 Barracuda. The center section does not have a pinion snubber on it so I have been looking at some that are available. There appears to be three different lengths for the bracket an 8" large, a 6" medium, and I believe the last one was a 4" small or something like that. My question is what length do I need for my Barracuda and why the different lengths? Any help and info will be appreciated.
Thanks
Bob
If you find out, I’ve got all three available in great condition.

Jake

I believe it has to do with ride height.

This is correct. As the ride height changes such as new or old weak springs, helper shocks, air shocks, ect... your pinion snubber height will have to be adjusted. Mopar used to sell an adjustable one. Don't know if they still do or not. It's kinda like the old traction bars people would put on the leaf springs but in the middle of the car instead. Best I can explain it. You need to measure the amount of space where it will touch the bottom of your floor. You don't want it too close or it will beat the snot out of the floor and you. To far away and it will do nothing for your launch.

The ride height will change the length needed on the pinion snubber. I'm gonna guess you will need the shortest one and you may have to adjust the lenght as needed. Not a lot of room in an a body.

Last edited:
Hello all, I know this is an old thread, but I have a question on the distance between the snubber and the body?
I bought an adjustable one, but even in its lowest setting it hits the body when i lower it off the lift. I cut it down, and now have like an inch between the snubber and body, but wonder if thats enough. I can't test drive the car yet, I'm still finishing up other work.

Hello all, I know this is an old thread, but I have a question on the distance between the snubber and the body?
I bought an adjustable one, but even in its lowest setting it hits the body when i lower it off the lift. I cut it down, and now have like an inch between the snubber and body, but wonder if thats enough. I can't test drive the car yet, I'm still finishing up other work.

Never mind, I found the answer. Sounds like 1/2 to 1 inch gap is ok.

-
Back