Correct placement of 67 Barracuda instrument cluster wire.

-

soonercruiser

Reaction score
So, I am currently encountering the joys of replacing my instrument cluster bezel in my 67 Plymouth Barracuda.
I've been very careful to label everything and followed a "How To" Sticky on the process.
But, my middle name is "Murphy", after Murphy's Law.
I bought a new Bezel for just under $700, and am not sure if it is top of the line, as I've had to do some adjusting.
I just got done repairing the little plastic post that holds the HVAC control wire and was ready to start reinstalling.....and I look to my left.....

..and see that one of the wires to the to the Cluster lights has popped out of the circular connector.
See the picture; it's the dark blue wire loose above, and I'm sure it belongs either to the left or right of the lone connector with empty spaces on either side. But, which one?
Anyone got the past experience to know, or a diagram so I'm sure to get it in the right slot?

I will also move the circular connector close enough to see if there is a pin that needs a wire connector for it.

loose cluster connector.jpg

Dark blue is fuel gauge sending unit, dark blue with tracer is brake warning light. Pic is factory 67 barracuda schematic.

20240423_002044.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks 4Speed!

But mine looks a shade different.
I think that I figured it out by looking at the backside of the cluster itself.
There is a ridge to grove orientation at the top of the connector.
On my cluster there are 5 pins together at the bottom; 2 at the top clockwise, a space, then one by itself. 8 pins total.
The diagram you gave me only has 7.
That will fit the pins on the back of my cluster.

Plus, ya always gotta test everything before the final screws go in anyway.
Electrical is one thing I hate working on in my cars.
:(

Glad to help, if u look at schematic, you can barely see the orientation peg on the round plug. Across from that peg is "dk blue fuel sending", now look across from your peg, that hole is empty. Could that be it?
Thanks 4Speed!

But mine looks a shade different.
I think that I figured it out by looking at the backside of the cluster itself.
There is a ridge to grove orientation at the top of the connector.
On my cluster there are 5 pins together at the bottom; 2 at the top clockwise, a space, then one by itself. 8 pins total.
The diagram you gave me only has 7.
That will fit the pins on the back of my cluster.

Plus, ya always gotta test everything before the final screws go in anyway.
Electrical is one thing I hate working on in my cars.
:(

I can take a picture of a harness if you would like. My neighbor Todd has a couple harnesses out of the cars I can get pictures of.

Not all of the holes in the plug are filled with wires. Only the ones that align with pins on the board. It can be confusing because the pinout for the board is a mirror image of the pinout when you are looking at the face of the plug. It may be more useful to think of it looking at the back of the plug (the end with all the wires coming out).

You really need the 67 wiring diagram from the Barracuda Supplement to do this. I can send you a PDF of the whole supplement if you need it.

-
Back