Coughing up neat stuff

-

doktor_x

ronin phantom
Reaction score
As of eight days ago, I'm done with smoking. The process of my lungs clearing the 23 years of gunk has been interesting so far. Today's batch of gunk smells strangely similar to the inside of a freshly dismounted tire. It's oddly fitting that I'm spitting this gunk into the ashtray beside my recliner. I figure the grotesque visual should reinforce the effort.

I've been staying busy around the house to stay out of that sedentary trend that has wrecked previous attempts at quitting. Today is a down day after yesterday's activity of throwing the spare Jeep engine around the backyard and making my back angry. Another distraction: I'll be testing for an amateur radio license this coming Saturday. A buddy hooked me up with a 2-meter HT as the proverbial carrot. So ends the ~19 years of procrastination.

Blah, blah, blah and further stream-of-consciousness rambling that is utter nonsense to anyone outside of my skull...

Doc X -
Congratulations for stopping smoking and don't give up!!!
I've never smoked so I cannot imagine how hard it is. But I do know I've lost too many relatives and friends from the effects of smoking - including my father at the too-young age of 44 and my grandfather.
Although you describe your mentioned visual as 'grotesque', the visual memory of my grandfather is worse. He lived next door to us and, when I was a kid, I could hear him coughing every morning when he woke up. He developed lung cancer in his later years and the coughing got progressively worse.
One morning my grandmother called in a panic. Running over to their little house, we found my grandfather sitting perfectly balanced on the side of his bed with his arms resting on his knees and his head down. Only he'd already passed away since he had literally coughed up a large amount of lung material.
This wasn't meant to be disgusting - only as an even greater reinforcement of your efforts.
I'm proud of you for stopping. Don't ever give up.

i have been off the wagon for about 2 years man... If you can make it a couple of months you have it whooped!!!!!!!! I smoked one here about 2 months ago and was wondering how in the hell i hacked the first stoogie down back 12 years ago... LMAO its a good feeling knowing you can control yourself aswell.. Hang in there and believe me get ready to gain a few pounds.. I think eating takes place of the smokes... :D

I quit for three months (97days to be exact) a couple of years ago. Then I remembered why I smoked as my wife came in the garage with the blah blah and I started back. We all quit eventually.

Well im going on my third day ha ha without a smoke and im doin ok i guess. I just feel kinda dizy dont know if its from withdrawl or anxiety because my swinger is goin in for paint this friday .... It suck's though but im shure it will pass.....

I quit smoking 2 months ago, started walk/jogging 2-3 miles 5 times a week for 6 months now and now I go to the doctor today for my yearly stress test. Results I had a bout of 4 seconds of ventricular tach and I have to go to the hospital and under go a heart Cath. Screw it I'm going for a pack of cigs!

Here is some reading for you on quitting and what to expect. I have now been smoke free for just over 2 years.....started smoking when I was 10 and quit at 47.
http://www.quit-smoking.net/what-to-expect.html

Also ...a quick run down for you...

In 20 minutes, your blood pressure and pulse rate decrease, and the body temperature of your hands and feet increase.
Carbon monoxide in cigarette smoke reduces the blood’s ability to carry oxygen. At 8 hours, the carbon monoxide level in your blood decreases to normal. With the decrease in carbon monoxide, your blood oxygen level increases to normal.
At 24 hours, your risk of having a heart attack decreases.
At 48 hours, nerve endings start to regrow and the ability to smell and taste is enhanced.
Between 2 weeks and 3 months, your circulation improves, walking becomes easier and you don’t cough or wheeze as often. Phlegm production decreases. Within several months, you have significant improvement in lung function.
In 1 to 9 months, coughs, sinus congestion, fatigue and shortness of breath decrease as you continue to see significant improvement in lung function. Cilia, tiny hair-like structures that move mucus out of the lungs, regain normal function.
In 1 year, risk of coronary heart disease and heart attack is reduced to half that of a smoker.
Between 5 and 15 years after quitting, your risk of having a stroke returns to that of a non-smoker.
In 10 years, your risk of lung cancer drops. Additionally, your risk of cancer of the mouth, throat, esophagus, bladder, kidney and pancreas decrease. Even after a decade of not smoking however, your risk of lung cancer remains higher than in people who have never smoked. Your risk of ulcer also decreases.
In 15 years, your risk of coronary heart disease and heart attack in similar to that of people who have never smoked. The risk of death returns to nearly the level of a non-smoker.

LAter

good deal on the non-smoke status.....my whole family smoked. mom had lower third of both lungs removed thanks to the big "C"......

My job stresses me out too much to quit just yet. I find that if I start working out it helps me quit as the endorphins produced negate my need for the nicotine.

I quit cold turkey just over 2 years ago. I went from 1/2 to 1 1/2 packs a day to none a day. A few weeks later I started hacking up the crud a month later it was like my secondaries opened up when I took a deep breath. What scared me into quitting was every now and then it was like I would all of the sudden just skip a breath. I miss the hell out of smoking every time I smell it.

Just keep telling yourself "I don't do that anymore!"

Beef jerkey helps. It keeps your hand and mouth busy just like smoking. Lot better for you though.

What about BACON :D

Thank you for a good laugh :cheers:

I think I remember 360scamp JR. day :cheers:

Well on a daily routine it is hard to stop any addition that keeps your mind busy with comfort, God knows I have a few times but I no I am just not committed to wanting to quit smoking :angry7: YET 8)

The sure way to get it out of your system the fastest and not have the need for the nicotine is

Honey and Hot shower8)

Congrats!...I think you have it kicked.

I've been smoke free since December of 1991 (Heart Attack)

Quitting was the best thing I ever done for myself.

When you get the urge try inhaling very deep 4 or 5 times...suck the air down to your toes. This is something you did while smoking. This expands the lungs so you get the same feeling as you did when you smoked.

Worked for me!

Made a deal with the wife this morning. Quit the sticks, and get my little G-body painted and the engine refreshed.. Appointments are lined up with the car already, so I might be a little more unruly for the next couple of weeks.

Grant

When I was about 8 years old, my aunt came to visit for a week. No one in my family smoked, so the smell of her smoking turned me off to it. The other thing that really did it, was that I went into her room one morning to wake her up, and there was a yellowish stain on her pillowcase where she had breathed on it all night. That and her constant coughing really turned me off to it, and I never started, even though most of my friends did.

I lost her, several friends, and several uncles to smoking-related cancers.

Keep up the good work on quitting. A friend of mine who quit says that even though he has not smoked in 3 years, he still wants one every day.

I quit 31 years ago, cold turkey, from a 2-1/2 to 4 pack a day habit.

Decided, last day of June in 1979 that was enough and at midnight, stubbed that last legal Cig I ever had out.

It was a ***** for 2 weeks, then it lets up, hardest thing was going drinking with no smokes, when I was out for a night of drinking, I could go thru 4 or 5 packs in an evening.

Stay with it, put the money you would've paid for cigs in a jar, see hwat you have at the end of the first month, then 6 months, then a year, frightening. And I quit when they were $0.55/pack.

FF

3 years 3 months completed as a quitter
had a rare nic fit the other morning, but i am usually smooth sailing....

good luck. you will eventually stop coughing up the primordial ooze.

-
Back