Couple of 273 questions

-

coffeedart67

Reaction score
Have my 67 273 at the machine shop being rebuilt. it is a 2 barrel, the builder was trying to talk me into going to a hydraulic cam, can I replace the solid cam with hydraulic? He ordered the smallest solid cam he could find, and guarenties me that it should work with the 2 barrel. Definitely will insist on getting the cam card or specs when I pick up the engine. Does anyone know the stock specs for a 67 273, 2 barrel solid cam?
One last question, are all 273s floating wrist pins? This is a cruiser, no racing, etc.
Thanks

2nd question first, to my knowledge they are all floating wrist pins.
I am doing one now and my machinest is putting bushings in the wrist
pin end. I am building my engine from a 2V solid lifter engine to a
4V with a Lunati hydraulic cam & lifters. Again there should be no
negative repersussions with the hydraulic setup if I can break it in
without knocking a lobe off it ;-)
Good luck with your build, Rat

Rat man is absolutely correct. Some of us like adjusting valves or we have a need to keep things the way they were but there are dozens/hundreds of hydraulic cams that would work great. And yes floating pins are a bit racy but Mopar did things like that. toolman

The real reason HYD cams came around was for emissions standards. The solids would lose their adjustments and the emissions would change.

HDY lifters bleed down a tiny bit costing some lift of the valves. Depending on the weight of the engine oil and how aggressive the cam lobes.

Go on speedtalk and look at the posts of racers saying they did not believe it but after switching to straight 50 weight oil the engines made more power even thou the oil drag must have went up also.

Now all that said I am going with a HYD cam but a mild lift HYD cam.

Solid cams will make more power and not be effected on the weight of the engine oil

-
Back