Covering cardboard headliner

-

lee g

Reaction score
Have a cardboard headliner with some nicks and scratches. I am thinking about trying to cover it with vinyl and using a vinyl top glue. Anyone had any luck trying this.

Previous owner put some real thin material over mine, and actually did a nice job.
I would say it was glued, because it has never sagged.

Ok. I am debating between a vinyl from a local fabric store that has no foam or ordering a tier grain foam back vinyl that you see on old cars. Trying to go the plain vinyl route since i want to put it on the past pad, headliner, sail boards, and rear shelf in the car.

I just came back from Joann's Fabric store on the weekend and bought black headliner material. Was 14.99 a yard and I bought 2.5 yards.

This stuff is nice, black fabric with foam. If you want vinyl, they have as well.

Riddler

Thanks Riddler. I have a Joanns fabric store about 20 min away. I will check it out.

I used 3m spray glue th glue the fabric store vinyl to a cardboard headliner and it turned out great. It's a super cheap alternative if your original cardboard is decent.

Cley

I think Lowes/Depot has 3M spray in two grades.
Get the more expensive one for moisture resistant.
I think it's in a green can instead of black?
I have done those back when there was only the black can.
It came down in places eventually in my truck.
I've used vinyl dye on the carboard one too.
Doesn't someone make plastic reproduction ones now?

3m super 77 is a real good upholstery adhesive.

Yes they make plastic reproduction ones. I have one already in another dart I own. Not real impressed with it so I am going a different route this time.

Yes they make plastic reproduction ones. I have one already in another dart I own. Not real impressed with it so I am going a different route this time.
I have read that you need a hi heat resistant glue for this, seems the normal spray on adhesive will let go in time due to the heat. I was going to buy a volare wagon that wasn`t rusted up, but didn`t have a headliner (cardboard). I was going to clean it and use black speaker box material , it is very lite > I have used it extensively on my 68 fastback build.

-
Back