cracked a ring gear bolt

-

Buschi340

Reaction score
just being curious. Is that happened to someone else? I was torquing them not even close to specs (55 lb ft ). Guess i had 40 lb ft at that Point around and the bolts felt kinda soft and one cracked.
Not sure but i got my bolts from drDiff. Can it be they were grade 5 instead of grade 8? I mean I have no clue wherelse the the error could be. All is brand new. Ring&pinion, bolts, eaton truetrac.........

Highly doubt Cass would sell grade five, prob just a defect in the bolt, contact them and let them know about it, sure he will make it right.

the bolts felt kinda soft
Sure sounds like stretching going on there.
Let's see some pictures of the failed bolts and a link to what you purchased. You might have a few hardness tests done.
Not to second guess you, do you know the torque wrench to be calibrated and you were reading it correctly?
I had a neighbor ask to use my compressor to fill a bicycle tire recently. He read the wrong scale and was trying to put 5 kg into a tire that holds 50 psi. Point is, mistakes can happen.
contact them and let them know about it,
Absolutely. He'll want to check his inventory for a suspect lot.

just being curious. Is that happened to someone else? I was torquing them not even close to specs (55 lb ft ). Guess i had 40 lb ft at that Point around and the bolts felt kinda soft and one cracked.
Not sure but i got my bolts from drDiff. Can it be they were grade 5 instead of grade 8? I mean I have no clue wherelse the the error could be. All is brand new. Ring&pinion, bolts, eaton truetrac.........
The head of the bolts should have markings that call out the grade, as asked above, pics??

is it china made fastenetrs like brewer supplied me with , though it all in the trash . when to a bone yard and got the usa made stuff . thats my fit for you .

IMG_6798.JPG
IMG_6797.JPG
Here are the bolts. I can't find any markings about the grade. You can see on the other bolt it was very close to break. Also the remaining 10.
i adjusted my small wrench to 30nm. Took the next wrench Ina different size with 50nm.

Ordered a new set thru a German shop from ratech now. This throws me back 2 weeks in waiting :( and also ordered new wrenches. Both I used were new but you never know...

I know he'll reply at times but I doubt he follows every thread that's posted.

anything new on torque wrench check? any lube/loctite on bolt threads and under bolt head? and the factory torque spec is 55-that is what I do with an old beam torque wrench

you're probably right... :)

Will PM him
Just a quick question, did You run a bolt into all the ring gear holes & check the gap? It wouldn't be common, but is it possible the bolts are bottoming before the head seats
completely on the carrier, thus snapping them off?

Looks like you received a defective bolt, as I installed hundreds without a problem. It is a grade 8 specialty fastener made by a supplier to Dana/Spicer. It is/has been branded as, or included in Motive, Richmond, Yukon and other rebuild kits.

I installed 3 sets earlier this week and I tested another set this morning with a new torque wrench. All torqued to 55 ft lbs. and none felt "spongy".

I just looked up the transaction and refunded you $20 via PayPal for the value of the bolts.

Cass

thanks Cass. I am wondering myself. Because i used good new torque wrenches, all cleaned and dry, enough space under the bolt and definitly not overtorqued with 60Nm ( not even reached ). Most of the bolts are visible damaged ( became thinner in the middle, sign for to much stress ). I am just saying there could be something wrong with the bolts you've been supplied with. And off course ist my here in Germany who picked them... :)

-
Back