Crager S/S on my '66 Dart

-

stop the beast

Reaction score
I have a '66 with large front drums and I tried to put a set of S/S rims on this afternoon and my studs were too short. Does this mean the wheels have too much back spacing or is is standard to have to extend the studs with these wheels?

Anyway to measure backspacing on these things?

They are good looking wheels and I picked up real cheap, I hope they will work. Thanks.

by "large front drums" do you mean 10" diameter or large(4.5) bolt pattern?
normally the 66 cars came with a 4" configuration with Left and right threads.
the Crager S/S has a thin wall lug that fits down inside the hole, ie. the stud will not stick out like a regular steel wheel that uses a tapered mount surface.
most folks change the left hand studs to right so that unknowing helpers
don't wring them off.

by "large front drums" do you mean 10" diameter or large(4.5) bolt pattern?
normally the 66 cars came with a 4" configuration with Left and right threads.
the Crager S/S has a thin wall lug that fits down inside the hole, ie. the stud will not stick out like a regular steel wheel that uses a tapered mount surface.
most folks change the left hand studs to right so that unknowing helpers
don't wring them off.

Thanks mrbill/ By large I did mean 10", they are the small bolt pattern. So, all I have to do is get some lugs! Awesome!

And another question for you about the right and left studs. I took off the front passenger wheel and it was normal, righty tighty - lefty loosy. Are you saying he driver side is reversed, rightly loosy...?

on some cars the left rear and right front are right hand thread
i personally think it was mopars way of saying :thebirdm: to thieves

I swapped over to bbp disc,with 14x7 ralleys up front.Disc,s are for 73 up Dart.

trim 029.jpg

trim 032.jpg

on some cars the left rear and right front are right hand thread

I've never heard of this, but I know that with Mopar, you should never say never.

The "normal" setup is to have left hand threads on the left side & right hand threads on the right side. This went on until somewhere around 1970 (I think), then they switched to right hand threads all around.

I was told the idea was that, when slowing down, left hand threads would tend to tighten on the left side & right hand threads would tend to tighten on the right side. It makes sense, but it was probably over-engineering. The left hand studs on my car have an "L" stamped on the end to indicate they are left hand threads. Unfortunately, when you use standard mag type lug nuts you can't see the L, but the left handed mag lug nuts I used to have had notches on corners to show they were left handed. But you're not gonna' let anybody else change your wheels for you anyway, right? :-D

hmmm.... your not the only one to tell me this i wonder if someone switched my studs around???????

I've never heard of this, but I know that with Mopar, you should never say never.

The "normal" setup is to have left hand threads on the left side & right hand threads on the right side. This went on until somewhere around 1970 (I think), then they switched to right hand threads all around.

I was told the idea was that, when slowing down, left hand threads would tend to tighten on the left side & right hand threads would tend to tighten on the right side. It makes sense, but it was probably over-engineering. The left hand studs on my car have an "L" stamped on the end to indicate they are left hand threads. Unfortunately, when you use standard mag type lug nuts you can't see the L, but the left handed mag lug nuts I used to have had notches on corners to show they were left handed. But you're not gonna' let anybody else change your wheels for you anyway, right? :-D

I didn't notice the stamps at first but thanks for pointing it out. With a little PB blaster and a pick I cleaned the stamps and found I have LH and RH studs. I found the cragar part numbers, 09004-4 and 09005-4.

Does anyone know a part number for locking lugs for this setup, of course I'll need 2 LH and 2 RH, lame!

-
Back