Craigslist scammer targeting my son...

-
Well, at least the lesson will only cost him $35.......we hope.

What is a check? Is it some sort of handwritten note stating the fact that he has money stashed somewhere and is promising to pay you or something? Like an IOU? Let me get this straight: someone hand writes a note and puts any dollar amount on it and expects you to give him a product of said worth, then you take his note you YOUR bank after the fact and you expect them to magically put money thats 'sitting' somewhere into your account based on the good faith of an IOU based out of some other for profit institution? Who dreamed this commerce tool up, the Brothers Grimm? Seriously, there is something called paypal, it's almost free, and it's pretty darn secure. Plus the money is instantly in your account, (that you can promptly move into your non linked bank account so it cannot be 'retracted' electronically ) so there is no "its in the mail, hold the part" BS. If your really old fashioned and want a little piece of paper to stare at, there is the US postal money order that you can call a number to prove it's not stolen or is legit and even what the amount is for. Last time I saw a person write a check in the market, the cashier looked at her and said, "really?" Sarcasm aside, I do hope you only got hit for $35, and not a compromised routing number. I like the Monopoly money refund. That and post a Craigslist add with his number for "420 products for sex" That should get him some high quality calls.

^^^^^ A check is a legal document that you are bound to pay by law. The original scammer could /should be arrested for passing bad checks, but wait, this is the modern world where the cops don't have "manpower" to do anything :)

OP, I hope in In the end, you finished him off with a "what r you gonn do bout it?".....either by e mail, over the phone or to his/her face.

I cant believe people use checks still.
If someone i didnt know wanted to pay me by check id laugh in their face.

Certified bank draft is acceptable though.

Even chip and pin number technology on credit cards was non existant on our usa motorcycle trip. I havent signed a piece of paper for a credit card in years here.

^^^^^ A check is a legal document that you are bound to pay by law. The original scammer could /should be arrested for passing bad checks, but wait, this is the modern world where the cops don't have "manpower" to do anything :)

OP, I hope in In the end, you finished him off with a "what r you gonn do bout it?".....either by e mail, over the phone or to his/her face.

On the flip side, cops are not society's babysitters. The "modern World" requires discretion and personal responsibility.

It's a slippery slope.

there are 3 specific things i pay by check
the first one is my tithing
the second one is my favorite chinese take out place who for some reason dont take cards
and every bill that gets send to the house gets paid by check (copays, car registrations, that kinda stuff)

I have only 4 bills that I pay by check and it's because they either don't accept online bank payments, or they charge fees to do it that way (which pisses me off to charge a fee for something that actually saves them money).

But...every place across The country is different as to how far they have moved into the electronic age, so I understand why in some places it hasn't happened yet.

FWIW.... My wife and I pay all bills by check, except sales and employment tax deposits for business. Glad we do... I travel a ton for a living and my main credit card has been stolen 2x this year on trips (credit card company caught it both times). So I didn't have to re-register new card numbers in either case... just keep writing checks.

Once a check goes into the system there are no obvious places where the numbers get exposed, except at the receiver's end; it's all in the postal system or in the bank. The banks use a wired transaction system totally separated from the public internet, and the postal system dealt with this ages ago.

Credit cards.... they get handled by all sorts of potential thieves, and the end transaction equipment, local records, and the communications links are more exposed. I've had my CC number stolen 3x in 3 years now; these last 2 had chips so that is no guarantee of the number not being stolen and re-sold. It is up to the CC company or you to catch it.

I shudder to think if a debit card number and PIN gets stolen.... that's right to your bank account. I am REAL careful about using any wireless links I use when making online purchases.... I avoid them, but never use any sort of public WiFi; my favorite is moving, in a car, with my secure access router on LTE. That limits thieving opportunities and the amount of the path on the www.

Any time you deal with individuals and some smaller hole-in-wall businesses, the risk goes up. Cash is for that. Guess it might shock some people..... but I have started back using more cash for small store transactions after this summer's 2x CC number thefts.

I forgot about this thread. Feel bad for krazykuda's kid but I hope he learned his lesson, any POS that wants to give you more money than what you are asking for (my case $1600 more than the $250 I was asking for a car) is a scammer. I never met a prince that needed my help cashing a check. "I included the extra for you to pass on to my shipper." Couldn't write him a separate check? Must be a rough day at the palace, couldn't find more check blanks? "I'll send it all in one check, they'll be Co with it. Man I can't wait for that Pontiac Bonneville parts car!" I only write a check for my storage and if I enter into an agreement for buying a parts car! I prefer cash when dealing with humans, just seems to work out better.

Similar thing happened to me 1 month ago .. he would only communicate by text... but i called him and talked the the N***R... which he was ...sad but true ... needless to say he got nothing ... but a GO FUK yourself

On the flip side, cops are not society's babysitters. The "modern World" requires discretion and personal responsibility.

It's a slippery slope.

Man , I don't know what cops are, revenue generators for the local government is all I can think of to describe them.

Man , I don't know what cops are, revenue generators for the local government is all I can think of to describe them.
It was tried and proven in a local law suit here in Tampa Fl. years ago that,
1) TPD has no obligation to provide safety for any one person or group.
2) Their responsibility is to the public at large for their jurisdiction.

It was tried and proven in a local law suit here in Tampa Fl. years ago that,
1) TPD has no obligation to provide safety for any one person or group.
2) Their responsibility is to the public at large for their jurisdiction.

That kind of makes sense, in my twisted interpretation, if a thief breaks into my garage and steals some tools, it is an isolated incident they wont pursue it, shame on me, I should secure my garage better. If the drunks from the local bar are drunk driving every Saturday night, they could possibly kill/injure a member of the unsuspecting random public "at large" so instead of trying to catch a thief, they will set up random checkpoints to catch drunk drivers, which is alot less work than trying to catch a thief. Also, the drunk is a danger to the public at large where I am out some stolen tools, no danger. Now I get it :)

-
Back