Crank End Play

-

FASTBACK340

Legandary Member
Legendary Member
Reaction score
I've had a whole lotta numbers thrown at me as to the correct crank end play. I just dropped the crank in and I have .004". How much more do I need? I've read conflicting clearances in several sources.

FASTBACK340 said:
I've had a whole lotta numbers thrown at me as to the correct crank end play. I just dropped the crank in and I have .004". How much more do I need? I've read conflicting clearances in several sources.

* BUMP *

C`mon guys! NO ONE has an answer ?!?!? :hmph:

Buschi340 said:
rebuild book says (with new bearings): between 0.002 to 0.007. should not exceed 0.010

I've read that too.... But my machinist suggests .012" because it's a stick.

What to do.... what to do.... :banghead:

FASTBACK340 said:
I've read that too.... But my machinist suggests .012" because it's a stick.

What to do.... what to do.... :banghead:

My machinist didn't ask what transmission I am running. I don't understand why you would want more slop in the motor for a manual. It seems to me that would be harder on the thrust bearing and everything else if the crank can move .012" everytime you push the clutch in. :dontknow:

I would shoot for the midle of the tolerance with a stick, .005ish. Did you tap the crank back and forth with a rubber mallet to center the thrust bearing? This usually gives a bit more clearance than just bolting the cap down. .012 seems a little high for me, but then again everybody has their preferences.

I'm at .004" now... which is dead-center of .002-.007" Yes, I gently whacked it back & forth with a rubber mallet. I'm inclined to leave it as-is. I don't know why I needed .012" for a stick application either. I know my machinist builds killer GM powerhouses, but I have to question his judgement on my Mopar....

Me thinks it's gonna stay where it is :-$

In my completely irrelevant and uneducated opinion, .004 sounds good to me, .012 seems a wee bit high and I don't see what advantage there would be in that much jangle.

I'd say .012' would be acceptable but I wouldn't aim for it, leave it at .004" and she'll be good! With .012" you'd be askin for thrust problems

mrspeeddemon said:
I'd say .012' would be acceptable but I wouldn't aim for it, leave it at .004" and she'll be good! With .012" you'd be askin for thrust problems

I've used as much as .019 on ring and bearing jobs. >004 is fine. >012 is bigger than the factory liked, dotn use that. Also, make sure you dont preload the thrust bearing with your clutch setup. I've seen a lot of that lately with other makes..

-
Back