Cranking amps

-

Snake

Mopar Nut
Reaction score
Ok I need to get a new battery for the Dart I had to pull my 650 cold cranking batt from the dart for my daily driver.Is 550 cold cranking amps ok there like 79 bucks vs 118 for the last one I got.My 360 is not a high comp engine,if that matters.

..............A higher cranking amp battery will keep ur system up alot better than a smaller amp 1........i dont run anything less than 850 for that reason....ppl will argue, but i dont have any trouble running fans, sterio's, fuel pumps etc at all, even with the stock type 65 amp alt...kim......

..............A higher cranking amp battery will keep ur system up alot better than a smaller amp 1........i dont run anything less than 850 for that reason....ppl will argue, but i dont have any trouble running fans, sterio's, fuel pumps etc at all, even with the stock type 65 amp alt...kim......

Thanks Kim,good to know,me thinks i will stay with the higher amps.The Dart did roll over fast that I like.

Cranking amps are like any other "spec." They can be, well, .........imagined.

Best way to buy a battery is take a "look" at the cranking amps, but DO NOT use that as your only guide. Use instead things like

Is this a local reputable supplier, or is this a "big box" store that buys these batteries and relabels them from the cheapest Chineseo bidder?

How much does this battery WEIGH? That's right, WEIGHT is a huge advisor in "how good is a battery"

and..........I forgot to mention, that, depending on who is selling the particular battery, you can NOT go by warranty, either. A warranty is nothing more or less than a gamble for the supplier. If they think you just might get rid of the car before the battery fails, heck, they could put a 20 year warranty on it and REALLY impress ya.

They are betting that you won't

read the fine print (not transferable to owner or different vehicle)

"must have" original receipt, etc, all sorts of dirty little dealies.

as long as it has enough cranking amps to start the engine that is all you need, it is not hard or expensive to produce a battery with higher cranking amps, so it is not always a good indicator of a quality battery, RESERVE CAPACITY is what you should look at when comparing batteries, a battery with a higher reserve capacity is harder and more expensive to produce, like they say you get what you pay for,

Thanks Kim,good to know,me thinks i will stay with the higher amps.The Dart did roll over fast that I like.
I usually run with the biggest,heaviest that will fit in the existing spot,...The Jeep has 850 because when It has to start,..IT Has to Start and go Right Now,...Believe me, I paid for it too, with the warrenty...and when I had a prob with it 3 years ago, they tested It and said" Here's you new Battery Mr. Jaimus",...Keep in mind a battery loses half of its CCA @ 32 degrees f,....and most late model Pentastars will give you "issues" or "gremlins" with on-board electrical items when your battery is not up to par,...that being said, you should be fine with another average 650 CCA for the Dart.

Lots of food for thought,tell me is it true if a battery is left on a cement floor that will kill it?

Yes, but Its not the cement,It's the cold,...Imagine if you slept on a concrete floor for 8 Hours,...(actually I have done that in my past life,...felt like the tin man when I woke up)

Lots of food for thought,tell me is it true if a battery is left on a cement floor that will kill it?

Yes, but Its not the cement,It's the cold,...Imagine if you slept on a concrete floor for 8 Hours,...(actually I have done that in my past life,...felt like the tin man when I woke up)

Sorry incorrect. NEITHER cement nor cold will discharge a battery

A battery can discharge because of dirt/ moisture on the top area, so keep it clean and dry

A COLD battery that is properly charged WILL HAVE LESS POWER simply because the cold retards chemical action. It WILL however, discharge more SLOWLY. This is why some folks keep dry cell batteries in storage in the refrigerator--as to I--longer storage life WHEN COLD

A discharged or partly discharged battery that is stored cold is in danger of freezing. Not so a properly charged battery

A battery will actually self--discharge-simply from chemical action--faster when stored hot, than cold.

Cement floors have not a thing to do with it.

Sorry incorrect. NEITHER cement nor cold will discharge a battery

A battery can discharge because of dirt/ moisture on the top area, so keep it clean and dry

A COLD battery that is properly charged WILL HAVE LESS POWER simply because the cold retards chemical action. It WILL however, discharge more SLOWLY. This is why some folks keep dry cell batteries in storage in the refrigerator--as to I--longer storage life WHEN COLD

A discharged or partly discharged battery that is stored cold is in danger of freezing. Not so a properly charged battery

A battery will actually self--discharge-simply from chemical action--faster when stored hot, than cold.

Cement floors have not a thing to do with it.

Well just learned something today great info

CCA are achieved by adding plates to the current path. Batteries have a finite amount of space to fit into, thus More CCA= More plates. Since space is limited their plates get thinner and\or closer together. If you use a battery every day CCA can be the buying point but if it's a weekend or fair weather car (no winters) as here in Ohio those thinner\closer plates can lead to early failure because of shorting. Dirt is the culprit on discharging.

I have 2 of the 850CA CTC batteries with 9yr warrantys,cost was about $120 when all was said and done.CTC is close and they will take them back if a problem arises.Just my 2 centos.:happy8:

How about looking at the actual amps of the battery. I like batteries with 65 or so actual amps. Possibly that is what is referred to as reserve. The larger the amps of the battery the better it will hold out in cold weather or extended cranking or running accessories w/o the car on. Stop and start in cities where you kill then start the engine several times in short succession relies on amps, as the alternator is not going to have any time to re-charge the battery.

OK I found a battery on kiji its 1 mouth old never used comes with receipt,3 year free replacement,the same as what was in the Dart before it went into my daily driver.Moto Master Eliminator 630 cranking at 0 and 755 at 32 ,90 min reserve,for 75 bucks sells for 118.I think I will go for it.=D>

............Hey Don................if the receipt is not i ur name ur SOL for warranty............kim.........unless she takes it in........warranty is non transferrable.....

............Hey Don................if the receipt is not i ur name ur SOL for warranty............kim.........unless she takes it in........warranty is non transferrable.....

Thats a big 10 4 Kim,already got it on my P C were she says I will give you all receipts and if there is a problem she will go tho C T and deal with it.She bought the Battery and next day car died .I feel for her she is a young gale.I am a sucker when it comes to kidsss so that's why I don't mine helping her out.

Your a good guy Snake, but I put absolutely ZERO faith in her taking the battery back to CT for you. Also, make sure that all the #'s on the paperwork match the #'s on the battery.

-
Back