Crankshaft Oil Slinger is it a must or not???

-

Dodge74

Reaction score
Can't find my oil slinger!!! So i was wondering is it a must or will the timing chain still get lubed??? Or can i buy one somewhere............. Please help.........

THANKS IN ADVANCE..................... PETE.................................:?

It's a must. You can buy new ones from Mancini Racing new for $10.

Big help!!!....................... Thanks ..........................................

...................... PETE ............................

didnt use one in the last 2 engine i built
no leak in the front oil seal and
nothing wrong with the chain

So i got curious, i have a Magnum 360 core in my garage i opened it up this morning and it also dose not have a oil Slinger ...........WHATS UP WITH THAT...............

Thanks for every ones help.............................. PETE ...................................

When I rebuilt my hot street 318, I installed the front timing cover and gasket with RTV, then on went the harmonic dampener and everything was torqued to spec....I looked over on the table and I saw my oil slinger sitting there!!!! DAMN! I wasn't gonna undo what I just did, so I left it out. The engine has been running fine with no leaks for 5 months, and I REV the heck out of it every chance I get. But had I known, I would have installed it. Either way, with or without one, I think you will be fine...

Those things seem to grow legs ! I had about three of them sitting around my garage in various boxes.Went to assemble my short block and couldn't find a single one of them !

Those things seem to grow legs ! I had about three of them sitting around my garage in various boxes.Went to assemble my short block and couldn't find a single one of them !

Hell, that's like everything at my house. Parts, tools, jigs, books, instructions, paperwork, titles, you name it. Guarantee as soon as you buy a replacement, or don't need it anymore, it will turn up along with another one you forgot you even had.

Took apart,an o.e.Magnum last year.Heads replaced,short block o.e.No slinger.Had a small windage deflector,near the cam sprocket.

I like usinb them ,but they r not necessary...however, if it were a slant six, it would leak..been there done that.
The chain gets plenty of oil from elsewhere.

I have quite a few good used ones for $5 each plus the ride PM me if you still need one

Wow of all the LAs I've worked on even back in the day I can't recall any of them having an oil slinger.

Thanks every one. Looks like it will go together with out one.....................

.................. PETE .....................

So i got curious, i have a Magnum 360 core in my garage i opened it up this morning and it also dose not have a oil Slinger ...........WHATS UP WITH THAT...............

Thanks for every ones help.............................. PETE ...................................

Magnums used a timing chain tensioner that has a drip tab to drip oil on the chain. If I remember right early LA's also used a drip tab, just no tensioner.

I like to use a slinger cause small block chains are so long they seem to get slack in them quicker if they don't get oiled good. The stiffer the valve springs are the more load there is on the chain/gears

I forgot to put mine in, but then pulled the timing cover off to make sure it went in.

I thought about leaving it out but then i reasoned that the people who designed these motors were smarter than I am.

If they put one in, I put one in! :D

It's a must. You can buy new ones from Mancini Racing new for $10.
They aren't a must, when you say something like that one would imply that there would be a failure of some part if not running one which there won't be.......with that said I would put it back in if I had it and or order one if time wasn't a big issue, but if the engine needed for some reason to be back together before one could be obtained then it wouldn't bother me in the least.

Thread from the dead. They were never meant to be an "oil slinger". The old style seals back in the day needed help so that was installed to keep direct oil OFF the front crank seal. Newer, modern seals with better rubber compounds couldn't care less if they are there or not. It doesn't matter.

Thread from the dead. They were never meant to be an "oil slinger". The old style seals back in the day needed help so that was installed to keep direct oil OFF the front crank seal. Newer, modern seals with better rubber compounds couldn't care less if they are there or not. It doesn't matter.
The only engine to suffer front seal leakage due to not running an oil slinger is the slant 6.
I've seen it twice.

-
Back