Crankshaft Problem

-

cpthowdy1369

Reaction score
I Think I've Done Something Stupid And Put A Couple Of Dents In The Part Of The Crankshaft That The Connecting Rods Attach To While Removing The Old Pistons. Does This Mean I Need A New Crankshaft, Or Is This One Still Usefull. Any Help Is Appreciated, Thank You

If you have dented the crank jourals you will need to either have it polished out or have it turned if the dents are bad.You would need to turn the crank either way if you are rebuilding it and changing bearings.If the bearing are showing copper or alot of scratches,they are toast.Normally you can get the turning of the crank and a set of bearing as a kit for a good price.Might be a good idea to post a pic of the dents and bearings and any problems you see,Scott

thanks, took it out and found out that the dents weren't bad at all. should be no problem. i'm taking it to the shop to get turned and balanced and i need to know what i need to take to the shop. do i take just the crank and the dampner or are there other parts i need?

to balance the rotating assembly, they need the crank,rods, flexplate, damper, as well as the new pistons, rings and bearings so they can weigh them to put the correct bobweights on the crank.

Be careful about how much it takes to clean up. Anything more than twenty and you should probably start looking for a new crank.

-
Back