Craziest V8 Beetle swaps......

-

Abodybomber

Breaking street machines , since 1983.....:)
Legendary Member
Reaction score
Ran into one today,at work.Project ,in progress. 68,69(?), The rear tires ,were near level camber wise.Front's way negative. Dropped off some parts,noticed a ton of louvers,in the storage compartment panel.Already thinking water cooled.Expecting Pinto 2300/Capri 2.8. Walk up,see an old school Olds 455. Didn't see the rearend,but the strut perches,welded solidly to the axle tubes. Have any stories to share?(lol).

My dad had a friend with one of those. Except the guy stuffed Porsche wheels and brakes on it as well. He used to go up to guys in his normal beetle, challenge them to a race later that night, go home, get the Monster beetle then whip their asses up and down the street. Apparently it was hell on a road course as well.

Yes,this was rear engined........
man thats a lot of weight on the rear of that little car!used to be a 510 datsun with 455 in the back cruin around here....also tr3 triumph with a boss 302 and 4 spd.he was the exotic car killer...

My dad had a friend with one of those. Except the guy stuffed Porsche wheels and brakes on it as well. He used to go up to guys in his normal beetle, challenge them to a race later that night, go home, get the Monster beetle then whip their asses up and down the street. Apparently it was hell on a road course as well.

I don't know if I would be more surprised that a Beetle was trying to race me or that a beetle just beat me lol. I have heard rumors of guys doing this to old beetles but it really sounds like it would make a serious wheelstander. I am trying to track down some videos now on youtube.

I don't know if I would be more surprised that a Beetle was trying to race me or that a beetle just beat me lol. I have heard rumors of guys doing this to old beetles but it really sounds like it would make a serious wheelstander. I am trying to track down some videos now on youtube.
there was an article many moons ago about a 911 porshe with a dz 302 engine in the back.that car was from livermore,rod simpson he had swap kits to convert those cars to v-8 power.

The DZ 302,or the Boss 302,make more sense balancewise.A 360 done right,would be even better.

I had one that I put a turbo Mazda rotary engine in the back of. Too much power, went through a tranny and a couple of axles real quick.

i have seen a bug with a mazda rotory in the back.said he had a 914-6 transaxle.was very fast . yeah bomber when that porsche v-8 article came out no one was building 360s.prob would have been a 340 instead.but yes it would be badder thats for sure.:headbang:

There's a guy in these parts with a Beetle that's been pro-streeted. Front engine conversion with an otherwise stock 460. Tubbed, tubed, the whole nine yards.

Guy in Idaho was working on a bug with a Ford 460 in it. Pretty sure he bailed on it.....

I had a friend in high school who had an early 50's beetle (split rear window) with a 350 olds stuffed in the front. First time I saw it I was thinking what the ?? before he opened the hood. It was silver and black with Cragers all around. When he opened the hood I about sh?t. It was a scary ride for sure.
It would catch many people off guard. Later another friend wound up with it and did a 455 swap in to it. Lost track of it after that.

I'm big into corvairs too......I don't have a V8 in my '65 corvair, but maybe someday!! So bad ***!!

526335961_c30c63381f.jpg

12801887-M.jpg

There use to be a pretty popular county park here that everyone would cruise at on the weekends. Someone had a gold colored corvair convertible with a mid engine small block chevy topped with a 671 blower on it. One of the wickedest looking cars out there at the time. I always wondered what it had to sound like right in your ear like that.
Found this one looking on the internet for a pic of the one I had seen before.

4829448441_07d9ba47c7.jpg

That's about the closest feeling you can get to driving a bad-*** boat on the street! :D

Everytime I see those, I think......driving around with the top down on a nice day......engine purring right behind you.......girlfriend sitting shotgun with her nice long hair blowing every which way, then........*WHOOOP* Snatched bald! Right into the pulleys!

Ewwww.....that's creepy as hell!

If I was doing a V8 Dub, i'd personally would like a squareback. Did a quick google image search and didn't find any :sad7:.

Not V8 powered, but cool....

Attachments

• zipperian1_t352.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 984
Saw this at the Adirondack Nationals in Lake George last year...ya that's a hemi

Attachments

• DSCN1452.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 716
Buddy of mine was running a 454 in a Vega . Need wheelie bars

I am helping a friend build a Vega and he plans on taking the 496 out of his dragster and putting it in the Vega. Vegas are getting real big at the tracks now.

-
Back