Cross ram intakes on a small block

-

RON REAGLE

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Anybody running a cross ram with 2 four barrels on a small block? Other than being totally cool looking is there a benefit? I have a lead on a cross ram intake and want to know if it's worth the time and expense (Yes it's expensive)

The only thing I see is with all the new heads out there for Small Blocks. You are limited to stock designed ports. Although They do look cool for a street car. I bet it would work good with two Holley Sniper 4150's on it. Otherwise jetting would be a nightmare. The Hemi Cross ram holley carbs have all different jets in every corner. My friend has a hemi with a cross ram and it took special carbs and jetting.

But boy does it look good on there . I performs as good as it looks.

32203026_10155281786072540_8193824386948530176_n.jpg

32231293_10155281785967540_1658622030758543360_n.jpg

32294637_10155281786007540_2266112220968517632_n (1).jpg

The only thing I see is with all the new heads out there for Small Blocks. You are limited to stock designed ports. Although They do look cool for a street car. I bet it would work good with two Holley Sniper 4150's on it. Otherwise jetting would be a nightmare. The Hemi Cross ram holley carbs have all different jets in every corner. My friend has a hemi with a cross ram and it took special carbs and jetting.

But boy does it look good on there . I performs as good as it looks.

View attachment 1715879343

View attachment 1715879344

View attachment 1715879345
And the color is perfect. That car looks badass.

Here is the engine on my truck being dropped off at Ray Bartons before its transformation it is a 68 engine. He had a blue 71 340 Duster before this car.

brian's motor6.jpg

Hemi.jpg

Although not exactly a small block either...
But its a cross ram. They were cool looking on the Max Wedge's and the 67 Z28's Tuning them is the head ache. Bryans was built and dynoed at Ray Bartons . There is a science to tuning those intakes. They are not like tuning a inline style.

But its a cross ram. They were cool looking on the Max Wedge's and the 67 Z28's Tuning them is the head ache. Bryans was built and dynoed at Ray Bartons . There is a science to tuning those intakes. They are not like tuning a inline style.
It went to a place that knows how to tune them, no doubt about that.

I got a BB Chevy cross ram shipped to me accidentally when I bought a Weiand cross ram setup. Opened the box and saw it, "what the???" It did look cool though.

Is it worth it? It is to me! It makes more bottom end than the 750/strip dominator it replaced.

That intake is more a conversation piece then a performance need as I stated above with the new heads on the market and Injection systems. Depending on the price and the want for the look would be the answer. A 4500 Holley sniper would be the ultimate fuel system with a good set of aluminum High flow heads. If that intake is more then $1000 pass on it . Unless it is bolt on with carbs and linkage.

I'll have one of them someday to play with. If they are out of my price range, I have a big pile of aluminum plate and a welder to fab one when I have retired and have the time.

Is it worth it? It is to me! It makes more bottom end than the 750/strip dominator it replaced.

Interesting

ive heard in competition and all out HP, inline carb(s) are better.

I’ve heard the current Super Stock have fabbed intakes and the carbs have gradually moved towards center over the years. So much so there is a rule the carbs must stay a minimum distance apart now.

Last edited:
For a show car to drop jaws, can't be beat. It needs to be as complete as possible. The linkage would be a nightmare to fabricate. Carbs don't matter, cause whatever you put on it will need to be tuned/modified to work well. (Assuming an Eddie cross ram with forward facing carbs)
As for performance benefit, I have no small block experience. But I replaced a modified TM7/850dp combo on a maxwedge headed big block, with a factory crossram with two 750 competition carter's, and picked up ......nothing.
Sure did look sexy though!

I went the other way. I thought the 650/Strip Dominator had more low end and I didnt think the top end lost any. I had 2 390's on my 340 (then went to a single 4bbl top, maybe that killed the ram effect?): 284/.484 cam MP 175K convertor, 3.91 SG. Only response I got on my STR was "why did this guy put a Chevy motor in this Mopar?".... dumb *****.......

I have ran mine with both a dual fitech EFI system, and currently with 2 quick fuel 450s, it runs incredibly well. It is slightly cold blooded, it tends to run a bit rich at cold start, even without chokes, due to the fuel puddling until it gets a little heat in it. Just keep the idle speed up for a minute, and all is well. My engine is a 410" R block with untouched edelbrock heads, it was a Chrysler "crate motor" originally equipped with a six pack setup.

Throttle linkage is easy, I just used 2 "lokar" throttle cables attached to me factory gas pedal. Easy peasy.

Not a true crossram but a dual quad intake with crossram adapters. This was on the 318 I had in my desoto a street car with a 4 speed and 323 gears. It ran pretty good, no bogging or hesitation, didn’t foul plugs either. Has 2 500 Edelbrocks on it. I swapped in a 408 and decided it need to be tuned a little better. As soon as the weather breaks I’ll be putting in a AFR gauge in it and dialing the carbs in

3E758ACA-D20E-4559-BA27-6680AB17A727.jpeg

Anybody running a cross ram with 2 four barrels on a small block? Other than being totally cool looking is there a benefit? I have a lead on a cross ram intake and want to know if it's worth the time and expense (Yes it's expensive)
If u want one buy it
U only live once # we all have wasted plenty
Of money and cant take it with u !!!

Buy it and enjoy
Rocket has one for sale also so check his price before u pull the TRIGGER !!!

Three new Sixpack holleys are a taste over $2000 (at least). Then, how much Is a small block Sixpack manifold? $1200 for the crossram and a couple $400 carbs........?

-
Back