Crower Cam Identification

-

Cazbah362

Reaction score
OK - Called, searched to no avail.

From a 360, Crower Baron B 249 H, any insight would be great.

When you say "called" I assume you mean you called Crower?? If they can't help you can measure the lobe lift to get an idea of the lift. That doesn't tell ya anything about the duration, although it could be as simple as the 249 meaning 249 degrees at .050 and "H' for hydraulic.

Crower does " Beast",not "Baron" grinds. The Crower SBM hydraulic numbers are usually 31240 series numbers.Hopefully ,this helps.

Monarch,for 60 and 70s street/strip grinds.Like you Fishy,I am curious.If he could post a picture would help immensely.

Yes, I am positive on the cam type, its a CROWER baron and positive on the numbers, I would assume this is a really old cam. Crower did make a baron at one time, did a bit of internet searching and found this was popular back in the day? I agree 249 is possibly 249 at .50 and H is for hydraulic, type of lifters which came with it, so assume hydraulic is correct.

I agree, the number should have been a bit longer and all the research shows that too, but that is what is stamped there.

Yes - Called the company left multiple messages, through there automated system you get no human. I also left email, live chat, hell I will send a smoke signal if I think it would work.

If you show me how to measure, would l can do that as well, thanks in advance for all the help.

And Looking for the LSA, the SBM I am building has 191's in it, sets the compression a bit higher than desired so trying to have the cam help me out a bit here, looking for about 108

Here is a picture

Attachments

• Crower Cam Info.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 422
If you show me how to measure, would l can do that as well, thanks in advance for all the help.

Lift is real easy to measure if you have a dial indicator. Just install it in the block and set up the dial indicator and read the lobe lift then multiply that by 1.5 (the std. rocker arm ratio used in a SBM). If you don't have a dial indicator you can get close with a cheap dial caliper. Measuring cross ways of the lobe will get you close on the base circle then measure the lobe height. Subtract the cross measurement from the height and that's the lobe lift (may not be exact but will be real close). Then multiply the lobe lift by 1.5 and that's the lift. Duration is a lot harder to measure but considering it's a grind 294H my guess is they figure the total intake duration is 294 degrees and it's a hydraulic. But you probably already figured that out.

Finally received a message back from Crower, they stated this cam is older than there records - Figures

oh wait! its the last one listed :)

29001650~1_L_15dd6a4d.jpg

Great job Barnfind! Cazbah in case you need to know, the timing events work out to be ground on a 110 LSA. Too bad they don't give the duration at .050" but since it's an old grind and only has .455 lift I'd guess it's in the 230-240 range.

Nice find!That has to be mid ,late 70's? Have access to Crower cataloging back to the early 80's.Looks fairly aggressive,I'd run it.

-
Back