Cruising Van Nuys Blvd. Tonight

-

GoFish

Have impressive member
Reaction score
Anyone in the L.A. area going out to cruise Van Nuys Blvd. tonight? This will be the 3rd month they've turned the 2nd Wednesday of the month back into a motorhead Mecca. I heard last month there were thousands of muscle cars, hotrods, classics, etc. out cruising the boulevard. Should be wild! :burnout:

I wish. Back in the day..... I used to be into mini-trucks.... ya ya .. I know. Anyways, our truck club had a branch in Van Nuys... those guys always said to come that way and see the real cruising.. I never did. It would be fun to see except now with a big bad Mopar.

Have fun and be safe.

-RPM

Too far for me to drive from Orange County. Besides, my '69 Dart is far from done.
I'd love to see what shows up so hope that anyone that goes takes lots of pics!

Yeah, TurboScamp isn't done yet so I'm taking the '70 'Cuda. I'm getting a woodie just thinking about seeing all the hot cars tonight! :snakeman:

Anyone in the L.A. area going out to cruise Van Nuys Blvd. tonight? This will be the 3rd month they've turned the 2nd Wednesday of the month back into a motorhead Mecca. I heard last month there were thousands of muscle cars, hotrods, classics, etc. out cruising the boulevard. Should be wild! :burnout:

Bobs Big Boy?

The epicenter will be the corner of Van Nuys and Burbank Boulevards, but I heard last month there were cars parked on both sides of Van Nuys for about a mile in either direction...

Anyone who lives within a 50 mile radius of Van Nuys, CA should mark their calendar for the evening of September 9th and circle it in RED! Last night's cruise up and down Van Nuys Blvd. was the single, most exciting car happening I've ever attended!

There had to be over 1,000 cars covering every genre imaginable driving up and down a 1-2 mile stretch of the boulevard and circling back for another lap. Hot cars were parked bumper to bumper on both sides of the street, and every parking lot including car dealership lots and a huge supermarket lot were full. I saw Model A Fords; T-buckets; a Lamborghini; lots of rat rods and trucks; modern muscle in the form of new Challengers, Camaros and Mustangs; lowriders galore; every make and model musclecar in every configuration imaginable; original historic drag cars; modern drag cars that couldn't possible be street-legal; motorcycles galore; and the list goes on and on.

A couple of hightlights for me: 1.) Pulling up at a redlight next to a black '68 Charger with a black tail stripe and a throbbing Hemi. That was about the baddest B-body I've ever seen, no less felt. That engine's pulse at idle had me feeling like we were experiencing a major SoCal earthquake! 2.) Pulling in to an open parking spot on the street and seeing two cops stick their heads in my open passenger side window. Was I getting a ticket or being carted off to jail? No, they just wanted to tell me how much they liked my 'Cuda. 3.) The complete sensory overload cruising up and down the street--the smell of high-octane gas and oil, the constant thumping of big cams, the sight of SO MANY hot cars!

Speaking of the sound, it might sound like I'm exaggerating, but I had planned to meet a friend, and he called me four times before I heard my cell phone ring, it was that loud!

Okay, so you're all probably wondering at this point, where are the pictures?! Ummm...there aren't any. My head was on a swivel all night, trying to get a look at the cars driving by at 30 mph. With 2-3 lanes of traffic, I just couldn't get any good shots. So that's why I said at the beginning of this post, if you live within 50 miles of Van Nuys, you owe it to yourself to be at the cruise next month!

Mike, are they going to continue this past September? I am just wondering if they will be holding one in October that might be the same weekend as Fall Fing.

Gee, not sure of the schedule, but if last night was any indication, this should be a year-round event. We certainly have the weather here to make that possible. I found this link to the Van Nuys Cruising Association that may give you more info.

http://www.vannuyscruisingassociation.com/

You're right though. If they DO have the cruise in October, it will be on Wednesday the 14th, and the Fall Fling is on Saturday 10/17.

I wish it was closer to Saturday but then again, maybe I will just have to come down early and kill off a few days. A buddy of mine (who lives in the Burbank area) and I went golfing across the street from Woodley Park the day before the show a few years back. Now I just need to fiind something to do on that Thursday. ;)

Meet a SoCal hottie on Wednesday night, and Thursday will take care of itself! :snakeman:

It is absolutely amazing; there is nothing else like it around. I was out there from 5 to 10 in the Duster, with my dad and sister.

As long as others are behaving, the city's restaurants are making money and helping out the local economy, so it is good for the city and it will continue. It is backed by the police and city.

As far as the proximity of the October event (if it keeps running) to Fall Fling, it couldnt happen at a better time. It will be the same week (!), so we better see a lot of Mopars out at this cruise in force and at our CPW Fall Fling.

Dart4forte: get your Dart down for this. This is just what the doctor ordered for that machine.=P~

Gee, not sure of the schedule, but if last night was any indication, this should be a year-round event. We certainly have the weather here to make that possible. I found this link to the Van Nuys Cruising Association that may give you more info.

http://www.vannuyscruisingassociation.com/

You're right though. If they DO have the cruise in October, it will be on Wednesday the 14th, and the Fall Fling is on Saturday 10/17.

Also, Spring Fling is scheduled for April 17 & 18th, 2010. That second Wednesday will also fall two days before Spring Fling (if it's still going on then)

GoFish, Did you have the yellow 70 Cuda with the 383 hockey stripe?? I didn't see it in the lot. I was parked in the lot with my 68 Cuda.

There were at least twice as many mopars last night as compared to July.

I used to cruise Whittier and Bellflower back in the day (1973 -1975)

Had a 1965 Mustang Fastback in 10th Grade and then a 1967 Camaro SS 350 in 11th and 12th Grade ( I went to South Gate High School ).

Made it Van Nuys a couple of times, but even back then, gas was too expensive to go there from where I lived..

I'd like to take my '68 Dart there, but with my 383 pushing 3.91 gears, it's a looooong stretch from Huntington Beach..

I'd like to take my '68 Dart there, but with my 383 pushing 3.91 gears, it's a looooong stretch from Huntington Beach..

I drove there at 3800 to 4000 rpm. Hammer down!

Will be going down to the Mopar Invasion at So Bay Chrysler in Torrance next Saturday from Simi Valley. I'll probably be in a hurry again.

GoFish, Did you have the yellow 70 Cuda with the 383 hockey stripe?? I didn't see it in the lot. I was parked in the lot with my 68 Cuda.

Steve, I got there around 7:30 and the lot was full. I cruised up and down the boulevard about 7-8 times then grabbed a spot on the street directly across from Rydell. Yes I was in the Lemon Twist 'Cuda, but it has a 440 hockey stripe. ;-) I saw your car, but you must have been off checking out all the cool iron. I'll look for you next month.

Meet a SoCal hottie on Wednesday night, and Thursday will take care of itself! :snakeman:

Mike, I don't know if waking up to someone getting dressed for a casting call and getting a cup of coffee and some toast sounds appealing. I mean ... I would still have to figure out what to do all day Thursday. ;)

As for ocdart's & crackedback's posts, even though Joyce wears a small size 5 shoe, I don't enjoy the thought of it lodged into my keester. =:O

Steve, I got there around 7:30 and the lot was full. I cruised up and down the boulevard about 7-8 times then grabbed a spot on the street directly across from Rydell. Yes I was in the Lemon Twist 'Cuda, but it has a 440 hockey stripe. ;-) I saw your car, but you must have been off checking out all the cool iron. I'll look for you next month.

I definately saw your car. Awesome whip.

I drove there at 3800 to 4000 rpm. Hammer down!

Will be going down to the Mopar Invasion at So Bay Chrysler in Torrance next Saturday from Simi Valley. I'll probably be in a hurry again.

BTW, what gears are in your rear, Steve?

I have 3.23s currently with a 2500 stall and 26.5" tires and was running 3400-3500 at 90 getting there on the freeway from Camarillo, at times.

I am looking towards 3.73s at some point and backing my freeway speeds down some to accomodate it.

BTW, what gears are in your rear, Steve?

I have 3.23s currently with a 2500 stall and 26.5" tires and was running 3400-3500 at 90 getting there on the freeway from Camarillo, at times.

I am looking towards 3.73s at some point and backing my freeway speeds down some to accomodate it.

I have 245/50/15 that are 24.7 diameter in the rear AND front.

My speedo doesn't work. But that comes to about 90mph with 2% torque converter efficiency...

http://vexer.com/68rt/speed.html <----This is cool to play with

-
Back