`Cuda Capers: We're almost there....

-

FASTBACK340

Legandary Member
Legendary Member
Reaction score
Today was another day of doing 101 little things and not realizing 8 hours has gone by..... But a whole buncha little things got done: I carpeted the trunk divider, wired in another electronic flasher relay for the 4-ways (When using LED's for tail, brake, & directionals you need to do this so they flash...), re-installed the thermostat & filled the radiator (which has to be repaired or replaced...more on that in a minute), changed the oil & filter, and installed the header panel & grills. And boy-oh-boy, does she look sweet!

Here's the cosmetic assembly:
SANY0041-vi.jpg

I spent almost a 1/2 hour searching for the adjusters.... but finally got the headlights in.

SANY0042-vi.jpg

Then we pulled the header panel out of storage and prayed it fit....

SANY0043-vi.jpg

We got the header panel in. I had to pull the fenders out so everything fit, nessitating stainless washers big enough to hide the mongo-marks I made. Grrr!

SANY0044-vi.jpg

Although they look decent in the pictures...these grills are shot to hell. Broken mounting studs, dents, scrapes, etc. Over the winter I have another set I'll play with and see if I can make `em nice.

SANY0045-vi.jpg

The same goes for the headlight doors.... They need help too.

SANY0046-vi.jpg

But for the most part, she's coming along nicely. I ran out of steam and skipped the bumper & valance for today. I'll stop by tomorrow night after work and knock that out. My radiator is leaking.... plus that fancy-*** fan shroud I bought? Doesn't fit my radiator! But I ran across a guy near me on Craigslist that has a new aluminum radiator that will drop right in and I know I can get it for a good price. WTF....

I must say, I go to the garage and spend anywhere from 1 to 9 hours "doing stuff" to the car and it's almost zen-like. I have music pumping and I go away to that place which makes this a great hobby. I hate to admit it, but with the car almost done, I'm going to miss all this quality-time I've been having by myself. Believe it or not, it's been a great stress reliever! Plus I've enjoyed sharing all my up's & down's will all of you. It won't be long now before I'll have that `Cuda Caper post that will read DONE.

Thanks for being there with me. 8)

Almost bitter sweet isnt it. You get so aggravated with things breaking and going wrong then one day your done and feel like you have nothing to do.

Lookin good John.

I'm almost at the same place and I get what your sayin - but I figure the little things I'm
not really happy with will get attention when the bulk of the job is done and I can drive it around again. I will miss the big stuff though - I figure all I learned from this car will just make the next one go that much smoother. BTW - Your cars looking great!!

Almost bitter sweet isnt it. You get so aggravated with things breaking and going wrong then one day your done and feel like you have nothing to do.

Yup! I figure if the weather holds I should have her completely assembled by the weekend. Then I can start a new project: cleaning out my old house and selling it. I would love a new garage for my car by spring.... :-D

John, if you get a place with a 2 car garage, do you foresee yourself getting into another project in the near future or are you going to give it a rest for awhile and enjoy your ride?

John, if you get a place with a 2 car garage, do you foresee yourself getting into another project in the near future or are you going to give it a rest for awhile and enjoy your ride?

Amy wants an older VW Rabbit Convertible, so that will be the next project. Fortunately parts are readily availible and the cars are cheap. And she knows EXACTLY what she wants: Panther Pink w/ white interior and top, white scallops on the nose, 17" wheels, and tinted windows. 8)

But if I should happen to run across an old A-100 pick-up in good shape..... :-D

Fastback, could you list again what color that is on your Bcuda? I asked about it on one of your other posts, but there was no reply.
Could be because this board moves real fast! Lots of posts everyday.
I looked the color up that you had listed on the Auto Color Library, and their chart had it looking like a darker blue.
I would like to paint my 69 Valiant in a color like this, any help greatly appreciated.
Alan Hynes aka alan627b
http://tcpglobal.com/autocolorlibrary/
1968 color sheet http://www.tcpglobal.com/aclchip.aspx?image=1968-plymouth-pg01.jpg

John the car is looking awesome!! And dont worry about when its done. We always find something else on our cars to tinker with. And whats better to fill your newly found "free time" than jumping in and going for a ride!! :burnout:

Fastback, could you list again what color that is on your Bcuda? I asked about it on one of your other posts, but there was no reply.
Could be because this board moves real fast! Lots of posts everyday.
I looked the color up that you had listed on the Auto Color Library, and their chart had it looking like a darker blue.
I would like to paint my 69 Valiant in a color like this, any help greatly appreciated.
Alan Hynes aka alan627b
http://tcpglobal.com/autocolorlibrary/
1968 color sheet http://www.tcpglobal.com/aclchip.aspx?image=1968-plymouth-pg01.jpg

Your right and I appoligize for not replying.... The color is the original LL1 Surf Turquoise Metallic, which I've come to learn is a rare color. When I was shopping for a project 10 yrs. ago ( my God....) the next biggest thing after finding something not rotted to death was a cool original color. I went to see soooo many cars and everyone one was a color that I didn't care for.... or hated... not to mention rotted to death. When I found my car it was in primer. I popped the hood and flipped when I saw the color. It was so different ! I came *this close* to painting it Gold or Bronze, but good sense prevailed and I stayed with the original color. Thank God....

Fastback340 your car is lookin awesome!!I like the colour,maybe cause it,s different.Congrats on the (near)completion.I,m sure you,ll find something to do with your spare time.We always have something to do or start to do.Have fun with some cruisin before the bad weather moves in!!

Thanks for the reply, I'll check into it at a local paint place. Yours is looking great, I'll bet your ecstatic to have it on the road at last!
Happy Motoring!
alan627b

-
Back