Cuda wheelzzz

-

USCG CHARGER

Reaction score
So I'll be in the market for some wheels befor to long and wanted some of your thoughts. I wanted to stay muscle...doesn't have to be old school either. It just has to be muscle! The car will be two tone the 6 pack hood, roof and trunk will be flat black, the bottom will be blue. I've always liked the craigers, foose nitous, tq thrust II, etc. So I know I can always fall back on those is all else fails. These I saw last night and thought they looked like a new style rally wheel, w/a lip Would these look cool or would they be to goddy? BTW I have a 67 Cuda notch!
BlackBlueCuda.jpg

rallywheel.jpg

challenge_enlarged.jpg

c'mon guyz I know you have an opinion on these!

Jason

I heard Foos actually made those with the Mopar rallye in mind. I like the wheel you show except the ring of fasteners. I have seen an alloy wheel that is in the larger diameters that is a direct copy of the Mopar Rallye I just can't remember where.

I personally am a factory rallye guy, the newer wheels just don't do anything for me. Of the alloy wheels I like, the older torque thrusts and Cragar SS, it is probably because they look period correct for the cars. I have seen some newer wheeled 70's cars and they have looked good it is just not my thing. Plus it is really difficult to tell what a wheel will look like until it is on the car.

Chuck

Thanks for you reply Chuck...I know there will be those folks that don't like the new school look on these older cars...I for one love the look as long as ur not putting nothing larger than 17's on them.

This isn't gonna be a #'s matching car by any means! It will have a 5.7L Carb engine in her...If thats not changingthe book I don't know what is. Saying that... I wanted to be a little different than the rest w/the exterior b/c it not everyday you see a new Hemi in a 67 Cuda. But I can't stress enough that I want the muscle look....nothin goddy or over the top.

Jason

I like the concept (the car will look awesome) and the motor choice but I am still on the fence about modern wheels. I personally have always liked the American Torque Thrust and the Crager SS wheels but then I’m old fashioned.

Thanks Paul, I'm on the fence as well.....It just seems like such as good idea on paper and even whrn you see them against the old rally wheels. dammm what to do what to do!

Jason

I have a set of slotted mags (that I salvaged and cleaned up) on my Barracuda now but after I get the block sanding done and repaint the car, I will decide on what the final wheel will be. I decided a long time ago to go BBP to keep my choices open, as much as possible and just concentrated on the things I knew I wanted. I have owned several 65 Barracuda since 1967; I have had a lot of time to think of how I wanted to look. Build the car in the picture and figure out the details along the way.

The Ralleys that Foose did was indeed inspired by the original, as shown on the Overhaulin Challenger they did a year ago I believe. But they are expensive, so way out of my league.

The things I look at when trying to figure out wheels is; one, the paint, two, the trim color, and three, how big.

So if you are looking for 17s I suppose, then I would go with the American Racing Torque Thrust. Paint the middle flat black, but keep the chrome lip. If you want, you could possible take the same blue color, and either straight down the middle of the spokes or on the edges or the spokes. Just a very thin line if you do that at all.

American Racing does have a wheel, I believe the Torque Thrust D's, that are painted black in the middle but they are gloss black.

Thanks for the reply Clint, I havent seen the challenger yet but I will in a few mins. lol. I'm not sure I'm going w/17's either....I just didn't want to go over 17's...what about 16's in rear and 15's on front? for the raked look?

Jason

Go look at some Rodding type magazines at the newstand. Those guys have tons of rims. And then you can look into the companies that offer them.

How did you make that concept drawing.

What are you going to use for that front spoiler?

I like the Foose wheels, but I am sure they come with a big price. I think they have a classic look like the rally's. I agree with the others about classic style wheels, but I also like the larger "17 - "18 sizes. How about 17" Crager SS? I would really like to see what an A-body barracuda looks like with set and some modern tires… seems like the best of both worlds to me!

Steve someone did that for me...on my thread I started "cuda color".

Robb said:
I like the Foose wheels, but I am sure they come with a big price. I think they have a classic look like the rally's. I agree with the others about classic style wheels, but I also like the larger "17 - "18 sizes. How about 17" Crager SS? I would really like to see what an A-body barracuda looks like with set and some modern tires… seems like the best of both worlds to me!
So Robb when you say agree w/the other about the classic style wheels...does that mean u'd rather have now or old school.

USCG CHARGER said:
So Robb when you say agree w/the other about the classic style wheels...does that mean u'd rather have now or old school.

I like the old skool style wheels but in the larger modern sizes. I had deep "14 slots when I had my '68 fastback, but I have seen they make them as large as "17 now. Wonder how they would look??? Also, crager SS and torque thrusts are timeless... they will always look good on just about anything.

Did I answer your question, or did I ramble??

Yes robb you answered my question...you can't go wrong w/the 5 star lip look! fooose nitrous, tq's, etc.

72 thanks for the pic...I'm not a fan of the old rally wheel...thats why I suprised I like the foose challenge so much! maybe is just teh concept of the design..

Jason

Here's some TQII's that were photoshopped on my car, the suspension was also photoshopped for the slammed look and the body shortened up a bit.

This may give you an idea of the TQ look.
scewedcudawheels.jpg

USCG CHARGER said:
Yes robb you answered my question...you can't go wrong w/the 5 star lip look! fooose nitrous, tq's, etc.

72 thanks for the pic...I'm not a fan of the old rally wheel...thats why I suprised I like the foose challenge so much! maybe is just teh concept of the design..

Jason

I wouldn't to retro 17" rallye unless you put AAR stripes and stuff on it. And even then...

Torq thrust are a bit played. Your design with that blacked out top and AAR hood needs some wheel that not absolutely everywere.

Look at www.introwheels.com the speedstar looks sort of like a Cragar like on the 65 Shelbys. Also www.cragarwheel.com

I've seen some Halibrand looking Salt Flat type rims with 17"+ redline tires that looked real cool and "retro-twisted" There's lots of company with a Salt Flat type of rim.

-
Back