curious about valve lash setting/check

-
you definitely helped, I was the only one making it complex. after doing it several times, it really is 'so simple' as you say. I was being WAY too meticulous finding the 'drag' on the spin. really helped when I started looking to take the slack out with the push rod going 'up and down'. you guys ALL helped, I'll let you know how it runs.

No, I promise it wasn't you. It's all good though. I think you're closer than you were.

...by the way 69, using .010 seemed to give me a 1 1/2 hour clocking early to the actual pre load start point, sound about right to you? see you all tomorrow.
If by "1 1/2 hour clocking" you mean about 1/8 of a turn, yeah that's probably about right. Whether you tighten it 1/2 turn, or 5/8 turn, or 3/4 turn from that point really should not matter much.

alright then, took about 7 minutes to get the oil running and the ticking to (almost) stop. I took it up to the 3500 rpm's Rusty, but afterwards there was still a little tick. it's dark, cold, and I'm tired. I will get to it tomorrow and do some other checking. thank you ALL for your help, your welcome in my fridge anytime! to all of you, have a great Thanksgiving. I'm sure I'll be back with something else, LOL. good night, and sleep well my friends.

Are u sure it’s not an exhaust leak? Kim
didn't sound like it Kim, but like I said....I'm whooped. thank you sir, appreciate all your help and knowledge. to you and your's, Happy Thanksgiving. and don't worry, I'm like a bad penny, I'll show up again....maybe tomorrow, LOL. thanks again. I'll keep you all posted.

didn't sound like it Kim, but like I said....I'm whooped. thank you sir, appreciate all your help and knowledge. to you and your's, Happy Thanksgiving. and don't worry, I'm like a bad penny, I'll show up again....maybe tomorrow, LOL. thanks again. I'll keep you all posted.

Before you rip into the valve setting again, I'd warm that thing up to temp. I'm mean drive it some to get it warm if you are anywhere near as cold over there as we are over here. 40-50 MPH wind gusts blew part of my in laws roof off, and the wind is blowing some roofing off my shop. What a pisser.

Anyway, get the engine nice and warm and then set the lash. With the engine warm and the the lifters should have much more resistance when you get to zero lash. You shouldn't need to touch the pushrods at all. Just back the adjusters off and the down to zero, screw a 1/2 turn in, lock it down and go to the next one.

Before you rip into the valve setting again, I'd warm that thing up to temp. I'm mean drive it some to get it warm if you are anywhere near as cold over there as we are over here. 40-50 MPH wind gusts blew part of my in laws roof off, and the wind is blowing some roofing off my shop. What a pisser.

Anyway, get the engine nice and warm and then set the lash. With the engine warm and the the lifters should have much more resistance when you get to zero lash. You shouldn't need to touch the pushrods at all. Just back the adjusters off and the down to zero, screw a 1/2 turn in, lock it down and go to the next one.
not getting the wind here (yet), but it's getting cold. sorry to hear about your roof and the in-laws. I'll give her a good run tomorrow, weather providing. thanks again for your help, you'll have to stop in for a cold one when you get up this way, open invitation. Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family.

lost my post, so do-over. thanks to all. I ran the car like yellow rose suggested. still a 'slight' tick, but that can wait until another day, if needed. here's the big news: found a phone number from 08 in the receipts for the car. called and left a message and the old owner/builder called back with some great information. set my total at 36, initial at 19 and boy oh boy, does she run now. your help here has been priceless (and I don't just mean this post, as I read a lot of others that you guys have commented with help). thanks again, you can't imagine how much I appreciate your help. I raise my glass in your name(s), and may good health be with you all. thanks again, Jack

-
Back