Currently getting 18 volts..

-

72Duster440

Reaction score
I fired up my car last night for the first time this year, and the volt meter was bouncing between 16 and 18 volts. I put a meter across the battery terminals and confirmed the same voltage. At the end of the season last year, all was fine. I'm going to remove the voltage regulator from the firewall and make sure the mounting locations are clean to ensure a good ground. Is there anything else I can look at?

Its a 72 Duster with a big block, with a 60amp alternator, and a painless wiring full vehicle harness. The harness has been in for 3 or 4 years, and I have never had any issues like this.

I bought a regulator with a separate ground on it when i had this problem.

Little blue alt just would not withstand my 100amp powermaster alt.

Bruce

I had the same problem. It turned out that the field wire off the alternator had grounded out, causing a "full field" condition and charging at 18 volts.

I'll check my field wire, I didn't do anything in that area over winter, but maybe it came loose.

The regulator is grounded through its mounting bolts right?

The regulator is grounded through its mounting bolts right?
Yes it is but it's just sheet metal screws into sheet metal. In and out with the screws to replace a regulator in your car's life and it might not be tight enough.

Yes...grounds through bolts/housing.

....I once had the actual plug/connector for regulator go bad...connections inside were bad.....another thing to check for troubleshooting.

1st one puked out all of the gel. P.I.T.A. to clean up.

bought regulator with a separate ground. went straight to the firewall.

No more open field alt after that.

Bruce

I was wondering about that too, is it worth going to a 1 wire alternator? What do you do with the field wires then, just leave them disconnected?

-
Back