Custom cam grinds.....

-

Abodybomber

Breaking street machines , since 1983.....:)
Legendary Member
Reaction score
Sometimes," off the shelf" doesn't work,for some. I usually split intake/exhaust lobes,from different off the shelf grinds. Just recommended one here.First one for me:396 rat.242/[email protected] had it ground on a 112(spray). Should have went on a 107.(solid flat tappet..).Some people,don't follow the norm.Any responses,welcome.Share yours.

Heck ya! Big fan of custom grinds. Did one for my stroker that works like a charm. It allowed me to tailor the engine to my needs and not settle for what is offered on the shelf. Takes huge advantage of the torque band of that 4" arm. Added bonus was that stroke mellowed it out the radical idle you would of thought it would have.
Got mine posted in another thread here.

Thanks for your input on that post, by the way.

I like custom grinds. They are more for people who are trying to maximize power and torque for a given combination. Not a thing wrong with off the shelf. They work well. Now that I have done business with Oregon Cam Grinders, I will probably never buy another off the shelf cam for anything unless I have to.

For me it's usually a balance of result needed, costs, and availability - in that order. Shelf grinds are good over wider rpms and different types of builds fr the most part. They also tend to be less aggressive which for some might be bad, but for me I like longevity and don't seem to have any trouble making power with them. So while i do use custom cams I can usually find one that will do what I want and once I find one and have that result, I'll probably use it again.

For me it's usually a balance of result needed, costs, and availability - in that order. Shelf grinds are good over wider rpms and different types of builds fr the most part. They also tend to be less aggressive which for some might be bad, but for me I like longevity and don't seem to have any trouble making power with them. So while i do use custom cams I can usually find one that will do what I want and once I find one and have that result, I'll probably use it again.

I do that with a lot of the Chevy motors we put together. :D
(Just kidding, kind of. I work in a shop that does predominately the C word).

Most of the time, I actually do follow your formula. Every once in awhile, you just gotta have that something special.

-
Back