Custom Wiring Issues

-

dale_brennon

Reaction score
I am installed a Painless kit in my Demon, and have gone with a single wire alternator, but the instructions are not so clearly cut. I thought I was moving along pretty well, but yesterday when I started to check the lights I kept popping fuses, the parking lights would come on, but I couldn't get any other lights to work. Does anyone have a simpler wiring diagram that illustrates the use of a single wire alt, voltmeter, MSD 6AL, power distribution box? Also, I am running the starter out of a 1997 dakota, and aftermarket gauges from Autometer. I have read a few threads on here, but I know there are members who have done the same thing I am doing, but I can't seem to locate a source to simplify my issues. I have copies of the original schematic, but I am no electrical genesis by any means, and they call out a lot of relay/delays that painless mentions nothing about. I know it is recommended to use relays for the high/low beams, and I have a starter relay, but is there any others that I am missing? I know this is a lot of information, but I am starting to get out of my comfort zone with the wiring.

I also forgot to mention, I am running an electric fuel pump, the battery has been relocated into the trunk, as well as an aftermarket fuel cell, and I am wanting to include a switch panel with a push button ignition. I believe I have officially bit off more than I can chew!

I have done the painless kit but did a the standard mopar alternator, one blue one green wire and the power wire. I know when I hooked mine up I kept poping fuses on the main harness. I found it to be the big wire from the alternator to the battery and the one from the alternator to the starter solenoid were touching. Once I put a plastic spacer in between them they were fine. I am running the same starter and also have autometer gauges, no relays for the head lights and a electric fuel pump..so let me know what questions you have and I will see if I can help. Mine is a 76 dart sport.

I am also use a painless wiring. I do not have any relays on the lights. I am also using a 2 wire alternator with 2 wires to it for power and out of an 80 amp fuse. That what painless wanted with me running a 100 amp alternator, electric fuel pump, water pump and two electric fans.

I am also use a painless wiring. I do not have any relays on the lights. I am also using a 2 wire alternator with 2 wires to it for power and out of an 80 amp fuse. That what painless wanted with me running a 100 amp alternator, electric fuel pump, water pump and two electric fans.

I`m far, far from being anything electrical. I rewired my 68 fish w/ an E Z wiring kit off ebay. I also used a 130 amp single wire gm alternator, mounted underneath the motor plate where the fuel pump should be. The single wire from the alternator runs to the main battery post on the relocated solenoid on the firewall, which is the same post running back to the trunk mount battery. am using an msd 6 al also. for some strange reason, I had to tie 3 wires together on the key switch, to get it all to work. maybe u can call painless, and get help from them. I had to call Sean at E Z more than once, believe me. to top it off, after the rewire , I went w/ a fast 2.0 fuel inj system, that changed a bunch ! hang in there ---"you can doooo it!!"

-
Back