Cutting off Crank counterweights

-

snailpower

Reaction score
I really would have thought this thing would have vibrated itself to death. Wonder how this would go on a SBM? Who wants to try it?

Looks like they did it in a manner that is some what balanced yet, still ran.

The 4 cylinder VW performance built aircooled engines would do just the opposite.

They would weld weights on to an existing crankshaft to make what is called a counter weighted crankshaft for the higher rpm and horse power engines other than stock being built by the performance crowd.

The thing with the VW engines is that the cases are made of magnesium and the main bearing areas in the case would get pounded out, needing a line bore and oversize main bearings to get things back into specs on the next rebuild.

To help the engine cases last longer many people went to using the counter weighted crankshafts to reduce the bearing stresses on the case, getting more life and reliability out out of their high performance high rpm engines.

Just the opposite of the experiment in the above video.

Yes their experiment ran, but they say crankshafts can start to flex over 4500 rpm. The weights they removed greatly reduce the life of the main bearings. The weights help to offset the stress on the main bearings so they last longer.

Seems like an awful lotta work to grenade a 4 banger. :realcrazy:
Just start it up, knock the oil filter off with a wrecking bar.
Put the throttle return spring on backwards and let the fun begin.
If it still has a functioning cooling system, shove the wrecking bar through the radiator.
You may want to be prepared to move quickly, the engine fan will eject the wrecking bar.

Last edited:
Back in 1983 I had a 1970 dodge charger with a 383, I got a 400 from a friend out of a 72 charger to put in it, I was still green back then and didn't know the difference between internal and external balances engines. I put the 400 in and my torque converter wouldn't line up with the flex plate so I used the one from the 383 and it bolted up. I noticed the hood vibrated alot but I drove it like that for 3 years. After I learned more a few years later I knew why I had the shaky hood.:)

That's frickin stupid! And according to the title those are counterweights and not webbing. Dumb asses.

4cyl is docile, try that in a V8 where there is 2 different power stroke directions. Itll wiggle like a firefly. Saw a slant just idling away like a pump motor with no oil pan or oil, it was a Slick-50 demo space at Pomona.

The 4 cylinder's primary balance does not come from the counterweights. As soon as I saw what they were doing, I knew what they would find.

As George noted in post #3, the counterweights on a 4 cylinder engine are used to keep internal bending of the crankshaft, and the forces on the main bearings, under control.

I never thought about the inertia though.. that makes sense.

Last edited:
Local car shows used to drain the oil on an engine then sell you a chance to guess how long it would run without oil. I saw a 1.6 Pinto run so long they had to give the win to the person with the longest guess because the damn thing wouldn't stop...almost two hours without oil.

There's a reason why model A engines didn't run 6,000 rpm. LOL

Ford-Model-A-4-Cylinder-Engine-Motor-Crank.jpg

Local car shows used to drain the oil on an engine then sell you a chance to guess how long it would run without oil. I saw a 1.6 Pinto run so long they had to give the win to the person with the longest guess because the damn thing wouldn't stop...almost two hours without oil.

About 90 minutes we got out of a 327 AMC in a similar adventure. It windowed the block at 60 minutes and we watched the crank glow red for the next 30. It may have just finally run out of fuel when it stopped. The fire just went out and it coasted to a stop.

-
Back