D Darts - question

-

hemidart1

Reaction score
I have I my seen one, maybe two for sale in the past 10 years. Do anymore ever come up for sale or is there just not that many left?

Just curious. They are a bucket list car for me.

Not many left, possibly not as many produced as Chrysler claimed, either. I had a chance to drive one in the late 80s. It had been detuned to 235hp level, but still quite the car. That car now belongs to a member of this forum.

In the last 30 years I have only seen around 5 for sale, they don't trade hands often. The D-Dart Dude here knows much more about them than I. All were white with red interiors...

There were in fact 50 produced. I have a list of most of the dealerships that got them. I also have the numbers of 11 that still exist in my registry. I heard that there might be one in the Phoenix area that is not on my list.

I personally have owned 3 of the 11, and, l currently own 2 of them. One is the first in the sequence and the first delivered. It was actually picked up at the assembly plant by Ted Spehar, and campaigned by Ralph Costa and Ted.

considering that the majority of them were raced, I can see why there are so few left om the road.

In 1966, there were a few that were sold to the general public and became street/strip cars. Since they weren't very competitive in 1966, I think a lot of them were turned into street cars after the season. I know of two that were found in junk yards and are in the process or being restored. One is a FABO members car.

As far as finding D/Darts for sale, the first one that I bought I found in Hemmings Motor News. I was working at Chrysler at the time and a group of us chipped in and got the Priority Mail version. I found it listed in the Oct or Nov, 1998 issue. Called the guy that day and made the deal with him. That's the white one that's been at all the auctions since 2009.

I found Ted's car by making friends with both Al and his wife Carol while working at Chrysler. Told them that if they ever planned on selling it, that I'd like to buy it. Got the call for that one 2 months before I retired and 3 months before we moved to Florida. What's one more car? After determining that it had the original engine in it and it was the first one built, it was mine.

I bought Dana's car after corresponding with him seeking the story of his car for the D/Dart website. Somehow the conversation turned into the "since you know D/Darts, I'm thinking of selling my car and would I know anyone that would be interested in buying it"? DUH......I would be providing I could get it shipped from CA to FL reasonably. I regretted selling the first one that I bought and was happy when this one became available.

So yes, there are cars available. You just have to be in the right place at the right time. And be willing to pull the trigger at a moments notice.

As far as Dana's D/Dart goes, I'll be out in the garage later today trying to get the headers back on the car. Had to update the clutch to a 10 1/2" setup and modify the oil pan. That all required removing the engine and trans. I've been procrastinating putting it back together because it's a real pain in the arse working on it. It has a 360-380 HP Mopar Performance crate engine in it now. The original engine is long gone.

In 1966, there were a few that were sold to the general public and became street/strip cars. Since they weren't very competitive in 1966, I think a lot of them were turned into street cars after the season. I know of two that were found in junk yards and are in the process or being restored. One is a FABO members car.

As far as finding D/Darts for sale, the first one that I bought I found in Hemmings Motor News. I was working at Chrysler at the time and a group of us chipped in and got the Priority Mail version. I found it listed in the Oct or Nov, 1998 issue. Called the guy that day and made the deal with him. That's the white one that's been at all the auctions since 2009.

I found Ted's car by making friends with both Al and his wife Carol while working at Chrysler. Told them that if they ever planned on selling it, that I'd like to buy it. Got the call for that one 2 months before I retired and 3 months before we moved to Florida. What's one more car? After determining that it had the original engine in it and it was the first one built, it was mine.

I bought Dana's car after corresponding with him seeking the story of his car for the D/Dart website. Somehow the conversation turned into the "since you know D/Darts, I'm thinking of selling my car and would I know anyone that would be interested in buying it"? DUH......I would be providing I could get it shipped from CA to FL reasonably. I regretted selling the first one that I bought and was happy when this one became available.

So yes, there are cars available. You just have to be in the right place at the right time. And be willing to pull the trigger at a moments notice.

As far as Dana's D/Dart goes, I'll be out in the garage later today trying to get the headers back on the car. Had to update the clutch to a 10 1/2" setup and modify the oil pan. That all required removing the engine and trans. I've been procrastinating putting it back together because it's a real pain in the arse working on it. It has a 360-380 HP Mopar Performance crate engine in it now. The original engine is long gone.
Pictures?? What are the differences of a d dart? Thank you...

20171117_110630-1.jpg
20150910_160441-1.jpg

Dana's is the one that I drove back in the 1980s after I encouraged him to buy it. We worked for the same company in Santa Clara in the late 1980s.

-
Back