Dakota R/T any good for bracket racing?

-

LXguy

Reaction score
Hey All

Looking to get into something I can just run to and from the local track to run brackets without a whole lot of fuss.

Would a Dakota R/T be a good choice for something like that?

Fill it up with gas, throw some drag radials on and have at it?

Thanks

Steve

I don't know about the Dakota but if you want a solid bracket car get an early 90s V6 Buick or something like that.

Not fast but you will turn the exact same time every time.

....... And all the other bracket racers will hate you. lol

I have a 98 r/t and they make great bracket racers in my opinion. Ours is basically stock running goodyear street radials and has only been down 1/8 mile 10 or so times but was very consistant. Ran between 9.5 & 9.6. Their weakest link is the 46re trans. Toughen up that slush box for track duty and although not that quick you'll have something reliable and consistant plus you can just throw your drag radials, jack, keg, etc. in the bed.

Oldschoolcuda

Hey All

Looking to get into something I can just run to and from the local track to run brackets without a whole lot of fuss.

Would a Dakota R/T be a good choice for something like that?

Fill it up with gas, throw some drag radials on and have at it?

Thanks

Steve

The Dakota R/T makes an EXCELLENT bracket racer. They consistently win the all mopar drags here in Seattle every year. I raced one myself for a couple of years and runnered-up in one of the all mopar drags. I picked up a used set of 15" durango wheels for $50 and wrapped them in Mickey Thompson ET streets. They worked great, cost next to nothing, and required no changes at all to the suspension. Bone stock, with ET streets, I ran 15.20 - 15.25 very consistently.

You can expect to get upwards of 350hp with bolt-ons like heads, cam, intake manifold, headers. Supercharge it or stroke it to make an easy 400-500hp. Did I mention that they come with hydraulic roller cams from the factory?!

If you get one for bracket racing, make sure it's a regular cab. The regular cab has a shorter wheel base and better weight distribution than the club cab.

Kinda makes me wish I had mine back. I say go for it!

I don't know about the Dakota but if you want a solid bracket car get an early 90s V6 Buick or something like that.

Not fast but you will turn the exact same time every time.

....... And all the other bracket racers will hate you. lol

Yep that idea sucks.Why race if its not fun? Theres usually a few rt dakotas at the track. Fun little trucks. As far as consistent I ran my 1998 extended cab dodge and ran 5 runs from 11.18 to 11.30 in the 1/8 and cut 5 lights under .545 on a sportsmen tree and brought home the street stock trophy one Friday night.

I'd get a first gen dakota regular cab, I think 1987 thru 1996 with the 318 in it then drop a 360 in it's place. Nothing wrong with the R/T's, I have 1 but damn there heavy, first gens weigh a hair over 3000lbs. Second gen 1997 thru 2004 i think weigh around 3700 lbs to like 4400 or so with the extra cab.

Just my 2cent$.

Here is my sons 87 dakota sweet ride.

Attachments

• SprintPhoto_bhtog4.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 247
  • dak1-1.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 248
Just put some slicks under it.

ANY consistent vehicle is good for bracket racing.

If it will run within .02 - .03 of your dial , just cut a light and you will go rounds.

if its slow out of the hole --- deep stage it every pass.

Here is my sons 87 dakota sweet ride.

I am so jealous of this truck. Its the exact duplicate of what I wanted to do with my old Dakota (hence the name streetdak). It got wrecked in a shop parking lot during my rebuild after a fire at the track. Every time I see that thing it makes me miss that truck so bad! Kudo's to your son, I got a 74 Dart ready for trade when ya'll are! lol

I have ran a Gen 1 for years. 1992 long box reg cab, 5.2l. Ran 14.70's in stock trim on street tires, 60'd 2.30's. I did some work to the 5.2l and slicks. I think it ran the best of a 14.30 something. Then switched to a 5.9l. Old girl is deadly consistant, and has won many rounds and many $$.

Not an R/T but I had a 93 Dakota short box, std. cab with the 5.2 and with just a few minor bolt on's it consistently ran 14.40-14.50 on street radials. It hooked real good so I never even put drag radials on it.

Drag Race and use my 2000 R/T in gymkanas,, gives the corvettes a run,, is very agile, and stuns a lot of people with its handling abilities..

Before I got Dart use to race 99' cc r/t. They are heavy. Think mine weighed around 4100 without me in it with the 15" durango wheels. Could not get it to 60' very well think best was a 1.7 with caltrac bars and split monoleafs. Best time was 12.52@109 but was fun truck and surprised alot of people.

Troy

-
Back