dart 340 I.D.

-

1994redram

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I went and bought a hood and front bumper today from a 71 dart. The guy told me the car was complete and nice for $500. Went out about an hour away to see a rusted out pile of junk. He sold the Kelsey Hayes brakes, moved the car around for years with a forklift, and left the windows down under an acorn tree for 10+ years. It is ROUGH, but I got the nice hood and decent bumper for $120. He said it was a base model 318 car. But it had disc brakes, has A/C, an 8 3/4 and various trim that my car wasn't born with. I was a dummy and didn't verify that it was a plain old 318. The front end is in the dirt without any suspension under it. And it was starting to snow. The motor is blue and had a 4 barrel carb and cast intake. What's the possibility of it being a 340? The car didn't have hood scoops but has the good axle and brakes. Did all swinger 340's all have scoops?

Call the guy and ask him for the vin number. If the fifth letter is a H than it is a 340 car. It would also have a 8 3/4 rear.

I thought about that. He mentioned wanting a "dropout rear end" for his barracuda and needing a 340 to use on another project. So I don't want to have him poke around it too much! Haha I feel like it's wrong to buy it like that. But it's his job to know what he has, not mine.

71 Darts in the US didn't have a 340 available unless it was a Demon. It could have had an engine transplant.

A Canadian swinger 340 could be a possibility, highly unlikely.

71 Darts in the US didn't have a 340 available unless it was a Demon. It could have had an engine transplant.

A Canadian swinger 340 could be a possibility, highly unlikely.

That's interesting! I didn't know that. I'm gonna say that it is a plain 318. I might still go back and get it for the 8 3/4 axle and V8 parts. I can sell the axle to pay for the car and still end up with V8 conversion stuff.

my 71 Swinger came with front K-H disks, A/C and 8 3/4 rear. 318 car too. Even has the rim blow steering wheel. Someone most likely changed the intake or motor at some point.

In 71 dodge replace with the dart 340 with the demon 340.In 71 you could only a custom or a swinger with a slant six or 318.

-
Back