Dash gauges globes

-

AussiePlymouths

Reaction score
OK, now I'm really confused!!!!
I searched for a post on this but couldn't find anything ( I also noticed that they are talking about dash globes on /6Forum).

Dash globes for '63 Val.

Over there you blokes refer to numbers (158 etc), but here our globes are rated in watts.
Today I bought a couple of globes that "looked right" and were rated at 6 watts.
Then I came home and pulled a globe out of an Aussie dash to see what watts (hee hee) it's rated at and it says 2 candlepower!

So now I get numbers OR watts OR candlepower!!!!! Gees!
So I Google conversions - watts to candlepower and after reading 6 pages they are throwing in Lumens as well!!!!!

OK - I'm buggered..... Any "bright spark" who can steer me straight, please?:banghead:

Yeah, I notice now that I am using globes in the search, maybe bulbs would be more appropriate.
It's a bit of a classic :
bonnet - hood
mudguard - fender
boot - trunk
and now its
globe - bulb????
Anyway, whatever you call 'em, I reread the /6 Forum post and SSD has added plenty of info on the right numbers.
BUT over here we don't have numbered globes - so the question still remains
"can anyone convert candlepower (or your numbers) to watts, please?"

So you're saying you cant go to a part store and ask for a #158 bulb ( which was OEM ) ?
Sylvania #2825 is a brighter replacement for the #158 although I cant say how many candlepower brighter.

sorry I can't get the link to work. Go to gelighting.com and in their literature library, there is a catalog on transportation and low voltage lamps. It has all the specs you need.

Pretty sure they are 5 watt for dash lights any good spares store like Repco or Bursons should have them

It took me a while to figure out what a "globe" is. I'd go with a standard 158 bulb because the sylvania 2825 will pull way more current than the system is designed for. Not only do they burn hot, they also pull too much current through your dimmer rheostat and can cause it to heat up more than it's capable of.

Hey mate,

I had this problem with indicator bulbs for the Scamp - It looked like an ordinary brake/tail globe but that wouldn't flash... There are still some parts places with a better-than-Supercheap range of bulbs and they should be able to source CP globes for you. Narva still make them.

The place I went to was at Coombabah on the Gold Coast - Globe Auto Spares.

OK, lets get this right. A bonnet is something older women wear on their head. A boot is something you wear on your feet and a mudguard is something you wear over your pants to protect them from the mud.
JUST KIDDING, I have owned several european cars and understand what your saying. Go with the 158 bulb even if you have to order online. Or maybe take your globe to a local parts store. Look confused and walk up to the counter and say I need this holding up your light. That works better for my wife than it does me, but blue eyed blonds seem to get all sorts of help in an auto store.

We have in aus now a chain of auto stores that have basically put a lot of the independants out of buisness over the last 8 to 10 years now they tend to have the market share they have moved to having lots of parts for what we call ricers (i think you guys call them tuner cars ?) usually 4 cylinder turbo powered, and the staff look at you strange if asking for anything to suite a car older than about 10 years, which is about when these guys left mommy to go to big school, and have no real mechanical knowledge only what they read in magazines

Good onya fellas! Thank you to all who replied you have been a great help (as always on this site).:finga:
And yes Peedee - you are right about Supercheap!

-
Back