Dash removal

-

hbbuddha

Reaction score
I have removed the windshield and the 5 or 6 bolts under the windshield gasket. I have removed the bolt on each side, connected to the side walls. I've removed all the nuts I can find inside the engine bay on the firewall. I'm still connected somewhere near the steering column but I can't tell where. What an I missing? I've looked in my haynes and my chilton manuals and haven't found the answer yet.

Any help?

have you looked underneath to make sure the braces are loose? Also the brake pedal assembly has bolts securing the dash area-- Lawrence

Brake pedel. That's probably where I'm getting hung up. I've lost light so I'll give it a look tomorrow. Thanks Lawrence

there is a bracket that the steering column attaches to. you'll need to remove/loosen the 3 lower column bolts and also the 3 bolts that secure the column to the bracket under the dash. The dash will need to go back towards the rear, and then down and away from the column brace. Sounds like you're just about there. Make sure the bulkhead wiring harness connector is disconnected from the firewall. It will all come out as one unit 2 people are preferred to get it out one on each side. It is not overly heavy just awkward.

Yep. That one little fastener above the steering column may not be in every year model but that's likely what you have. I said fastener because I forget if its a stud in a slot with a nut or other. If you'll leave the 2 behind the kick panels loosely in place the dash assembly will rotate out and face downward then lift up and off them. Those bolt holes are long slotted for ease of assembly on the production line.

Unless replaced prior, it is a stud and nut under the column. Sometimes the stud comes out with the nut, sometimes not. In which case you need to drop dash below and over the studs.

-
Back