Deadbeat DEWALT!!

-

mullinax95

Reaction score
Why Dewalt cordless drill has finally bit the dust. There isn't anything wrong with the drill itself but the batteries will not hold charge. Matter fact its like they don't charge at all. Ive had this drill for around 4 years or less and has worked fine until recently. I do a lot of work with this drill and as of right now I have to use my electric drill. My charger does not have a "re conditioner" for the batteries so I don't have that option. I looked on the Dewalt website and can get new batteries but they are $77 each. Thats $154 not counting shipping. I might as well get a new drill is what I'm thinking but hate to through away a perfectly good drill because of the deadbeat batteries. :wack:

Anyone have any advise before I have to shell out the clams for a new drill?

Do a google search on how to "jump start" them. A few years ago, there were a few guys who advocated shocking them back to life. I never tried the technique. I ended up retiring my old NiCad system for the newer Lithium system.

Throw the batt in the freezer for a day then recharge it. It has make batts come back to life for me

Some stores like batteries plus can replace the batteries at a good price.

Thanks everyone!!! You guys are the greatest!! I've placed one battery in the freezer and going to try that.

I took mr Dewalt batteries to Batteries Plus store in town and had them rebuilt with better than OEM cells. Cost was 43 each.

My Milwaukee did the same thing, seemed like the batteries would not charge, both batteries. Threw the thing on a shelf in the garage last fall. Was going to replace it buit tried one last time.....sure enough they hold a charge now.......don't take as long to run them down so I very well might try what some one else has suggested and take them to Batteries +

if u buy a drill then just buy the same one that way u can keep both drills

One for each hand!! j/k

I took mr Dewalt batteries to Batteries Plus store in town and had them rebuilt with better than OEM cells. Cost was 43 each.

Ok see I didn't know this. If all else fails I will try to locate a store in my area and see what they say.

Yep, 4 years is about right. Keep me posted about freezing them....

I will definitely let you know. My frozen pizzas might not taste the same for awhile. lol

I'm curious as what will happen. Hope 1970Duster's idea works actually !!

I look for deals. I think last time i replaced two i got a flashlight and sawzall with two batteries for same price as batteries. Never heard of batteries plus

I had similar problem, but it was the drill itself. 24V Mastercraft(Canadian Tire) best friggin cordless drill I ever owned, drilled 3" screws all day long! The keyless chuck f'd up and I couldnt get it open, I massacred the sob to get it off. Before I butchered it I went to Can Tire to see about another drill and they discontinued them! Apparently people complained about how heavy they were?? WTF lazy *** weekend warriors!! Oh I kept the batteries and charger if someone has the match to it. Best drill I ever owned.

Hey Mully post the model of your drill someone may be able to help you out with batteries

My batteries look like a power cord. They never run low,lol...

I got some replacement batteries for my old Dewalt off of Ebay for a decent price a couple of years ago. They're still working......

I have several dewalt batteries that will not take or hold a change. The thought of $50 a piece to rebuild at Interstate battery isn't too appealing to me, but to buy another Dewalt tool with 2 batteries when it is one sale might be the way to go.

Interstate does claim they will last longer then the factroy batteries once they rebuild them

WHAT TO DO, DECISIONS, DECISIONS

That's why I go middle of the road with cordless tools.....like a high end Black and Decker.

I have had two Dewalt 14.4 cordless drills in the last 14 years. First one was used extensively while redoing my house....dropped it , kicked it, knocked it over... Cordless drills do not lend themselves well to being free standing, hence unless you have a "holster" they end up falling quite a bit. I was starting another room, put the batteries on the charger overnight ( like always) started to work that Sat morning got prepped and went to get the drill...puled the battery out of the charger and put the other one in and plugged the first one in to the drill motor...ready to go!! within a minute I smelled something like burning plastic...looked everywhere BUT my holster...saw noting but the smell was getting stronger.... shortly I felt heat on my side...the side my holster was on....looked down and saw that the entire bottom of the battery appeared to be liquid!!! moving kinda quickly I ran outside, released my holster grabbed the drill by the chuck pushed the 2 black holding clips on the battery and let it fall to the grass.....it instantly started to smoke!!!! OK I have another one ...plugged it in and smelled the same thing...unlatched it from the drill motor and the battery was gettin hot!
Took the whole mess back to home depot, they looked it over and gave me an entire new set!! damn!! that first drill motor was just under 5 years old.
took the new set and followed charging instructions to the letter.....and they are pretty specific! drill lasted just under 5 years and the bearings went would not back out a screw drilled into an ORANGE much less from wood....got tired of messin with Home depot and picked up a 12 volt craftsman from a garage sale...6 bucks...went to batteries plus had then replace the batteries, in my 6th year no issues.....
moral of the story...WHILE very nice and very handy, cordless drills have a somewhat short lifespan.....FAR FAR less than corded drills ( which we are all used to, cuz thats all they had back in the day) Cordless has a purpose, it makes using a drill motor easy & convenient for that ease and convenience you sacrifice longevity ..... it sucks having to toss what appears to be a perfectly good drill motor, but I can assure you that the motor is not far behind the batteries as far as being worn out.

The only reason I spent the $$ on the sears drill is because it was visibly brand new and the guy said it had never been used and he could never get the batteries to charge.....I figured we were starting pretty darn close to NEW stuff so i got the batteries redone.

My thoughts NOW seeing the new stuff out there and the fact that the entire battery line up has changed completely, meaning that finding and buying your old battery will cost you more than a new drill set with 2 batteries!! REFURBING batteries prices have gone up also...getting close enough to consider a newly purchased drill & battery set.... I hate wasting things too but this stuff is NOT made to last forever...it is made to last for5 3 - 6 years TOPS and then it begins to fail...BY then there are several NEW models and new kinds of power sources ..... step up,,,get a new set...and budget yourself for another one beginning in three years ...if it lasts till 5 or 6 BONUS!!! but you will still need to buy a new one then...

POINT? they got ya coming & goin.... dont waste your life worrying about the planned obsolescence period of time on a cordless drill motor, use it up, work it to death and when it dies go get a new one ON SALE
\
my 2 centavos

SORRY I really do not know WHY the indents and paragraph lines I put in just go away when it posts.....sometimes they take other times they vaporize...cant figure it out

I currently make my living using DeWalt 18V cordless tools. Drill, jigsaw, trim saw, recip saw, radio/charger, lamps, etc... The freezer trick is worth a try, but don't expect miracles. NiCad batteries are a tad finicky. If a battery pack is on the way out, nothing is gonna magically bring it back to life. As said above the battery packs can be re-celled fairly inexpensively. Also look out for "reconditioned" battery packs which typically sell for half what a new pack retails for.

The new Lithium ion batteries are a great leap forward, but I'm not ready to replace my entire cordless fleet just yet.

The Lithium batteries are fast charging and have full power to the end but I
recommend NiCads for drills and cordless tools that drag the motors down.
Lithiums work great for impact tools where the motor runs at a constant speed.
As a drill drags the motor down it sucks the power out of the batteries. I'd say you did good to get 4 years out of a set of Ni-Cad drill batteries. toolman

I found obsolete batteries for a black and decker firestorm at Amazon .com for reasonable prices. They might have them for your DeWalt. I looked through several vendors on there to find for around $25.00 and bought two, still going strong.

SORRY I really do not know WHY the indents and paragraph lines I put in just go away when it posts.....sometimes they take other times they vaporize...cant figure it out

Could be the reply is too long.

Hey Mully post the model of your drill someone may be able to help you out with batteries

DW983 14.4V XR

On the Dewalt website the drill is discontinued.

I didn't buy the drill brand new at Lowes or a place like that. My mom gave me the drill which looked brand new case and all. I'm talking about it never had been used type new. She found it at a pawn shop in which it more than likely was stolen.

-
Back