Death of a dart

-
Well today we laid the dart to rest. Ross (res1vw21) showed up with his implements of destruction and started in on the dart with a gleam in his eyes.

74%20dart%20003.jpg

Working his way around the poor thing like a surgeon.

74%20dart%20004.jpg

I only found one thing that would slow him to a stop as he wielded his saws all with great precision. But it soon became evident nothing would stop him!

74%20dart%20005.jpg

So I figured what the heck I might as well jump in with both feet and see what a dissected dart looks like.

74%20dart%20006.jpg

74%20dart%20007.jpg

So this is where the story ends. All the good parts are headed to Ross's storage to hopefully save some A bodies. The motor, transmission, rear end, hood, fenders, bumpers and all the interior will live on in the dart sitting in my shop waiting for paint.
Rest peaceful old friend.

dart%20003.jpg

Here's the new one.

74%20dart%20096.jpg

May she rest in peace, well at least until someone else needs parts to resurrect their dart! I had a good day and am glad I could help save a few more cars with the parts the '72 wielded. Lol how did you find one of my weaknesses so easily?

never would have guessed the car was that rotted underneath by the first pic. i bought a truck like that once, had to weld in half a new frame after i had already replaced the motor.i hate getting taken like that. glad that you found a solid car and are able to use the parts.

May she rest in peace, well at least until someone else needs parts to resurrect there dart! I had a good day and am glad I could help save a few more cars with the parts the '72 wielded. Lol how did you find one of my weaknesses so easily?

Ross, Thanks again for the help. The rest of the dart is on its way to scrap metal heaven. Man I couldn't believe how rusty that thing was when we started the cutting.

I'm glad you have been able to keep a positive attitude through this experience, although I'm sure there were moments. Cutting it up was probably a good thing mentally, clean break and all.

Keep looking forward on the new build.

Grant

Sorry to see that had to happen. I did the same thng with my 72 Demon. It was rear ended and I could not save it.

this story makes me wanna crawl under my 70 and make a quick check-up. that really sucks that thing looked badass. i know you've probabl;y already set your new dart for blue, but i suggest painting it the same green in honor. Just a thought, i also love green darts =p

Wow - sucks you had to do that to such a pretty car but I understand not wanting to mess around with something that was that butchered up. May she rest in peace (and in pieces)...

Wow, just read this thread. Like one poster said, it would make a good novel or movie. It has everything in it!

You have a great daughter and SIL to get it for you, it is so sad that it turned out to be this way. But, now it is a huge project that you can discuss at gatherings forever!

Damn. that car looked damn nice on the outside!

Atleast she will live on in one way.

We saved as many parts as we could. A lot of her is going to be in the new dart.
It was a sweet looking car, but when things kept bending in the front end I knew something wasn't right.

Dart%20drawing.jpg

Just glad no one got hurt in it!

I bought a 67 FB Barracuda advertised in the "mini market" one time for $200, it was listed with "an un-fixable alignment problem." LMAO

AS soon as I got there and saw the car, I couldn't get them my money fast enough. It had awesome trim, body panels etc. The upper a frame mount, had rusted out on the drivers side. I fixed it, daughter drove it to high school for several years, after I fixed it up.

Great story and props to your daughter and her hub on the gift.
Now of course this can also be used as leverage that will serve you well for quite a long time.
"Remember that car you got me? I'm still working on it. Oh my back is sore......"

(Well, that's how Thanksgiving works at our house. LOL).

Dang, too late. I was gonna tell you to make a mailbox out of the old shell! LOL!!

Great story, I remember reading about when you got the dart as a gift (in my lurking, non-member days) and a great thread about the new one. Sorry for your loss, but glad to gain so much knowlege from your work!

-
Back