Death Rattle?

-

tiltsix

Reaction score
Ok so my 2001 Dakota now has 250000 miles on it and runs great,however on first start of the day it has a very scary bearing rattle.It shuts up after a few seconds and all is fine. My question is is there a product that I can add to the oil to quiet it down and buy a little more time or should I pull it and rebuild.......3.9 with auto..new oil pump at 190000,very good oil pressure till warmed up then just average (20 lbs) on aftermarket guage..................................................Thanks ..........................Jeff

My RAM does the same thing. I believe it's lifters. It lost oil pressure TWICE on the highway, I'm convinced it's the crappy design of the "bell" shaped pickup. I replaced it with the old style '80s pickup, something you cannot? not easily? do in a Dakota.

I changed the pump, but inspected the old one, and it looked perfect internally. I pulled 2 or three rod bearings and two mains and they looked more like 20K rather than 200K

I just junked a Dak engine (3 -4 bad rods) and a Durango, and one pickup is MUCH larger

Dakota/ other projects are kickin my old A$$

The Dak/ Durango pumps. The Darango is the larger one

img_0902cs-jpg.jpg

This was out of the ram same as the small Dakota one. I replaced it with the "old school" one which may not be possible with a Dak pan

pickup-jpg.jpg

Jake bought an 02 Ram with the 360 in it a couple of years ago. Had 165k on it when he bought it. Previous owner claims to have only used Castrol oil in it. Still had good pressure, but was using 1.5 quarts between 5k mile oil changes. At 180k, Jake switched to Rotella T. He now has 230k on it, it uses a half quart less oil between changes and it is quieter at start up.

Ok so my 2001 Dakota now has 250000 miles on it and runs great,however on first start of the day it has a very scary bearing rattle.It shuts up after a few seconds and all is fine. My question is is there a product that I can add to the oil to quiet it down and buy a little more time or should I pull it and rebuild.......3.9 with auto..new oil pump at 190000,very good oil pressure till warmed up then just average (20 lbs) on aftermarket guage..................................................Thanks ..........................Jeff

I am a huge believer in the Lucas Oil Stabilizer, you can buy it in the quart, or a gallon, I buy mine at Amazon, 25.00/gallon with free shipping. I have used this stuff in our ever day driver, I know, its a 2007 Buick sedan, just turned 171,000 miles, everything is original on motor, and it still runs great everyday. On my swap meet van, it has a 472 cu.in. 460 which we built ourselves, and after breaking it in w/ Brad Penn break in oil, we have alway's run 15W40 Shell T Rotella oil, along with 1 quart of Lucas Oil stabilizer, and it has 40k on it now, and when cold and warm, the pressure on the factory oil gauge runs 3/4 up to the High mark all the time. The engine runs great, as we use it to pull are open and enclosed trailers with ALOT of weight. So, that's what I use all the time. Good Luck.

Throw some good ol STP oil treatment in it and drive it till it drops.

Thanks for the replys.I think ill try the LUCAS , ive heard lots of good about it..........................................................jeff

An oil pick-up isn't going to cure any start-up noises unless it's clogged or cracked, so that leaves You with this;
1)You have excess drain-back, poss. causes are a) filter not equipped or poor quality anti-drain-back valve, b) excess clearances in pump &/or pressure relief valve failing to
close completely, c) overall excess clearances where a heavier "warm" viscosity may help.
2)You have a lifter that has taken to bleeding down on the ramp or nose of the cam lobe & needs a few to pump back up, again a change in viscosity may help.
3)You've got a loose rod that simply will take a moment to shut up, viscosity hail-Mary aside, nothing but new shells is gonna stop that.

An oil pick-up isn't going to cure any start-up noises unless it's clogged or cracked, so that leaves You with this;
1)You have excess drain-back, poss. causes are a) filter not equipped or poor quality anti-drain-back valve, b) excess clearances in pump &/or pressure relief valve failing to
close completely, c) overall excess clearances where a heavier "warm" viscosity may help.
2)You have a lifter that has taken to bleeding down on the ramp or nose of the cam lobe & needs a few to pump back up, again a change in viscosity may help.
3)You've got a loose rod that simply will take a moment to shut up, viscosity hail-Mary aside, nothing but new shells is gonna stop that.

X2

Don't ever use a Fram.
Try a Wix.

-
Back